banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't you guise tell me about this (weird boss power thing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Rich_S
    HomeGrownToneBrewologist

• Rich_S
    replied
    Re: Why didn't you guise tell me about this (weird boss power thing)

I've jumpered out the diodes in my CE-2 and BF-2 to convert them to modern specs. I run the whole board off a Pedal Power 2+.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    Mojo's Minions

• devastone
    replied

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/1019

http://jorgezorro.blogspot.com/2009/...upply-mod.html

Leave a comment:

• Van Noord
    Mojo's Minions

• Van Noord
    replied

Yes experienced this before as well years back. At that time a friend/bandmate clued me in and borrowed me his older power supply.

Leave a comment:

• Darg1911
    Mojo's Minions

• Darg1911
    replied

I've modified an old Boss ACA pedal in the past. I think it was an OD-1. It's just a couple of passive components. You can jumper across them, or remove them and replace with jumpers.

Leave a comment:

• DankStar
    Her Little Mojo Minion

• DankStar
    replied

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    I kinda want another HM2 but not badly enough to purchase one. Feel free to send me that one since it's broken and whatever
    I got this one at dirt cheap in smyrna. I miss that joint.

Leave a comment:

• Empty Pockets
    BadHairDayologist

• Empty Pockets
    replied

I kinda want another HM2 but not badly enough to purchase one. Feel free to send me that one since it's broken and whatever

Leave a comment:

• DankStar
    Her Little Mojo Minion

• DankStar
    replied

It's still got the sticker, I was just set on the jack being dead.

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

I did not know this.

I always used batteries BITD.

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    Mojo's Minions

• dystrust
    replied

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
    I bought a boss hm-2 pedal years ago, thinking the power jack was dead. It still worked with a battery so I didn't care at the time.

Flash forward to last week when I got the notion to change out the power jack with a new one. After the change (performed today) it still didn't seem to work, but I noticed it was dimly lit.

Turns out older boss pedals don't power using a typical modern adapter, but when used with other pedals where they share a ground or something and work fine. With my new one spot and 5-way daisy chain I was able to test it and it does in fact go to full power when connected to other pedals.

Very weird! You learn something every day I guess. Of course I couldn't have found that out before I changed out the jack but immediately after.

Source: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/726
    Because you never asked? (At least not that I saw)

At one point that pedal would probably have had a "requires ACA power supply" sticker next to the DC jack. That older adapter is an unregulated supply that puts out roughly 12.3V when not loaded. On my board I currently have a CE-2 and MIJ CS-3 that need an ACA supply. I'm not using a daisy chain, so I have them plugged into two of the ACA outputs of my Pedal Power Mondo.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    of the Forum

• PFDarkside
    replied

Yep, PSA vs ACA. I've experienced it with my DM-3. You can use a 12 tap from a supply as well.

Leave a comment:

• DankStar
    Her Little Mojo Minion

• Why didn't you guise tell me about this (weird boss power thing)

I bought a boss hm-2 pedal years ago, thinking the power jack was dead. It still worked with a battery so I didn't care at the time.

Flash forward to last week when I got the notion to change out the power jack with a new one. After the change (performed today) it still didn't seem to work, but I noticed it was dimly lit.

Turns out older boss pedals don't power using a typical modern adapter, but when used with other pedals where they share a ground they work fine. With my new one spot and 5-way daisy chain I was able to test it and it does in fact go to full power when connected to other pedals.

Very weird! You learn something every day I guess. Of course I couldn't have found that out before I changed out the jack but immediately after.

Source: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/726
    DankStar
    Her Little Mojo Minion
    Last edited by DankStar; 06-17-2017, 09:18 PM.
Working...
X