X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Klon - Another Klone

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
    ? Eh why??
    Look at old Maxon pedals, they where made in a solderbath, then a few extra wires and pots that needs handsoldering...and that was in the late 70's it started.
    You are buying a Clon Der majick diodes are why yu pay der price...you can clearly see that they are see through ones (transperant sound and all).

The SMD parts are just what you get these days, old plug through components are a thing of the past!
    Probally soldered better than most workers can do.
    They also come in different grades and quality.

The old stuff is living on borrowed time!
    What you are paying for is the cost of alot more than just parts.....
    If one should charge for just how much time and such that has been sinked into this stuff.....you will all be running to the hills.

Anyways as said....it is a Clon

Haha now that would be something!
    SMD doesn't seem to be what I get in my universe. Granted that I don't open them all, but the "boutique" pedals (current pedals) I have opened up have been through hole, not surface mount.

Comment

And can you hear any difference?

"Boutique" mostly uses old style components because it is easy with a normal solder station.
      But times are changeing....SMD have been used in the elektronic business for a very long time now.

It is just this industry that is hanging on to the old stuff.
      Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 06-30-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
        And can you hear any difference?

"Boutique" mostly uses old style components because it is easy with a normal solder station.
        But times are changeing....SMD have been used in the elektronic business for a very long time now.

It is just this industry that is hanging on to the old stuff.
        "It is just this industry that is hanging on to the old stuff"

That may be true but that's not what you posted and not what I responded to.

And, I have no idea whether I could hear any difference. I would need to A-B the same pedal built with the two different technologies.

Comment

And 7 years later....
          It goes for 399€....
          Well it is just electronic parts...surface mounted or hole through....the difference in performance is the same!
          They still need to mount the parts you know!
          It is just a different way to work.

Comment

Honestly, I never investigated the Klon sound. I might like it, who knows. But on every forum there is a thread about the best clone, and then people start bringing in dozens of examples. I ain't got time for that. So, what am I missing?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Honestly, I never investigated the Klon sound. I might like it, who knows. But on every forum there is a thread about the best clone, and then people start bringing in dozens of examples. I ain't got time for that. So, what am I missing?
              Gearjoneser is a big fan of the Klon and so am I.

I like a Tubescreamer...but it's a stomp it on for solos/stomp it off for rhythm kind of pedal. As are most overdrives.

If you're playing rock, the Klon can be left on all of the time. You can plug a Strat into it and use the Strat's volume control to go from clean to scream.

With my Strat's volume control all the way up I get those raging Jeff Beck soloing tones. With it turned down I can play clean chords.

There are other pedals that can be used like that, but no other pedal that I've owned does that as well as my Klon KTR.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

It's a unique sounding pedal. Instead of forum threads, spend a few minutes on you tube, plenty of demos there. The guys from that Pedal Show and Chapman have some demos.

Comment

I love my 2 klones. It's currently not the sound I'm using, but when I do use it, it's an incredible sound.

Comment

Thanks for the insights. Sounds like someone should just build one into an amp. Has that been done?
                    Maybe I will build a kit- then I can play around with it. I don't care if it is 100% crazy accurate.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the insights. Sounds like someone should just build one into an amp. Has that been done?
                      Maybe I will build a kit- then I can play around with it. I don't care if it is 100% crazy accurate.
                      That's a killer idea. A 2 channel amp with a switchable klon circuit on both dirty and clean channels would be awesome. Like taking the Ibanez Tube Screamer amp to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                        That's a killer idea. A 2 channel amp with a switchable klon circuit on both dirty and clean channels would be awesome. Like taking the Ibanez Tube Screamer amp to the next level.
                        It'll never show up in a tube amp design.

But with modelers eventually taking over the market, I'm sure there will be one with a Klone effect eventually.

Bill designed the Klon to make a Strat sound like a Les Paul, BTW.

To make single coils drive the amp like humbuckers, and to be able to go from clean tones to overdriven tones using the Strat's volume control.

I never use my Klon with humbuckers. What's the point?

Comment

I remember a booth at the LA Pedal Show a few years ago selling the Creme Brulee for what they claimed was a "show price" of $100. People were grabbing them, assuming they were boutique clones.

I got lucky, finding my gold Klon around the year 2000 for close to the original price of $230. If I were in the market for one today, I'd seek out a used KTR. BILL Finnegan claims he got the PCB version to sound and feel identical to the original gold and silver ones.
                          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-03-2017, 10:15 AM.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                            I remember a booth at the LA Pedal Show a few years ago selling the Creme Brulee for what they claimed was a "show price" of $100. People were grabbing them, assuming they were boutique clones.

I got lucky, finding my gold Klon around 2000 for close to the original price. If I were in the market for one today, I'd seek out a used KTR. BILL Finnegan claims he got the PCB version to sound and feel identical to the original gold and silver ones.
                            Yes. That's what mine is. The Klon KTR.

I've never played a silver or gold Klon so I can't compare it to those.

But it did cause me to sell my Aluminum Falcons and the Soul Food I bought just to see if it came close to my excellent sounding Aluminum Falcons.

The Aluminum Falcons were better (more transparent) than the Soul Food but the KTR beat them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

I got lucky, finding my gold Klon around the year 2000 for close to the original price of $230. If I were in the market for one today, I'd seek out a used KTR. BILL Finnegan claims he got the PCB version to sound and feel identical to the original gold and silver ones.
                              I wouldn't call it a "boutique" clone. It's a $99 pedal, probably made in China. Not to say it never was as nothing would surprise me, but I've never seen it marketed as an exact copy. Even going back to 2012 they said this about it ... "It's modeled after one of the most highly valued boosts of all time with a slight bump in the midrange."

The Creme Brulee is a boost and overdrive pedal that will make your lead tones sing and your rhythm tones warmer and fatter. It's modeled after one of the m...

Whatever the case, I presented it here as an inexpensive option that not too many people seem to know about. Not as a replacement for a Klon for someone who really wants a Klon. Exact copy or not, I think it's a great pedal and it's especially nice that something under $100 has staying power on my board.

Comment

Working...
                              X