Effects/amp switcher options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects/amp switcher options?

I’m getting tired of pedal dancing, and I’m looking at switcher options.

I’d like something that will change amp channels, bring pedals in and out of the chain, and switch patches on my delay pedal (Boss DD500).

I’d like the ability to run presets for specific songs. I’ll use anywhere from 2-4 settings per song and I’d like to set each song up as a bank, and the presets in the bank would be sounds I need for that tune.

I’d like the ability to run in “Manual Mode” i.e. turning pedals and amp channels on and off with the switcher on their own as well as preset mode, for improv jams and writing. I’ll need to run anywhere from 4 to 6 pedals in the switchers, plus amp channels.

My amp is a Marshall JVM. It uses a ¼ inch cable for the footswitch lead, but it CAN switch via MIDI.

As for switchers…

If it wasn’t for the DD500 I’d be able to get away with a non-Midi switcher like a Carl Martin Octaswitch, bummer I can’t use one practically in this application.

I was looking at a TC G-System, but I don’t think you can change the position of the FX blocks, and I want to run all mod effects (chorus, phasers, vibes) in front of the amp, and Tremolo, delay, and reverb in the loop. That kinda kills that option.

If I recall, Fractal’s FX8 has moveable FX blocks, and has MIDI capability. Given the quality of the effects, it would probably get rid of a lot of my need for individual pedals, but I do like handpicking my effects. Plus it’s expensive.

Something like a Voodoo Lab GCX + Ground control would work, but then I’d be bringing a rack into the mix. Not a fan of that but will do it if necessary.

The Boss ES8 looks like it might work for me… anything similar to that I should check out?

Suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks. ☺

Re: Effects/amp switcher options?

The ES8 looks like a good way to go....
    Haha all you pedal stompers....go back to racks again eh?!
    It has gotten way to complex for no good reasons!

I feel like have been transported 30 years back in time these days!
    Have fun anyways!

Comment

What do you have currently and are you trying to spend as little as possible, budget not that big of a concern for Switcher but you want to keep your current effects or might you sell it all and start fresh?

Adding a Switcher, Boss ES-5/ES-8 is ideal. The RJM and GigRig products are a little more premium, and the JOYO PXL Live/Pro is a budget option.

If you want to rack it up, GCX & Ground Control is great.

Technically Disaster Area can do it too, but you need two pieces of hardware and at that point I'd rather have an ES8. (And do... )
      Last edited by PFDarkside; 06-30-2017, 06:29 AM.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah the Boss ES8 would do great I think. The Joyo footswitches I'm not so confident about lasting long term.

Comment

i use loop master
          Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
          http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            What do you have currently and are you trying to spend as little as possible, budget not that big of a concern for Switcher but you want to keep your current effects or might you sell it all and start fresh?
            I have:

Tuner
            wah
            od/boost
            Micro POG
            Analogman Chorus
            ISP Decimator
            DD500

I'd like to add a tremolo and a reverb, and possibly vibe pedal and a fuzz.

The Tuner, wah, dirt pedals and decimator, I don't need in the loops. It's really amp channels, mod effects, and time effects I need to tie together. The DD500 I can run out of the loop and change patches via MIDI, so that leaves POG, Chorus, Reverb, Tremolo, and Vibe in the loops.

I'm not afraid of spending premium $$ if it's worth it. I'd like to keep my current effects, or at least be able to hand-pick them.

Comment

Originally posted by Progbusters View Post
              i use loop master
              No MIDI capability on their products, it seems. I need that to change delay pedal patches.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                I have:

Tuner
                wah
                od/boost
                Micro POG
                Analogman Chorus
                ISP Decimator
                DD500

I'd like to add a tremolo and a reverb, and possibly vibe pedal and a fuzz.

The Tuner, wah, dirt pedals and decimator, I don't need in the loops. It's really amp channels, mod effects, and time effects I need to tie together. The DD500 I can run out of the loop and change patches via MIDI, so that leaves POG, Chorus, Reverb, Tremolo, and Vibe in the loops.

I'm not afraid of spending premium $$ if it's worth it. I'd like to keep my current effects, or at least be able to hand-pick them.
                I'd put the OD/boost in a loop too... most have tuner outs when you mute.

GigRig is the premium solution, but ES8 is the best, dollar for dollar, IMO.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

My current board has a Loop Master clean/dirty/channel switcher with all of my pedals in front of my Marshall Jubilees. I still have to tap dance somewhat, but I mitigate it by using either the bypass or by setting up the dirty pedals while playing clean or vice-versa. I'd post a picture, but I need to get a photobucket replacement sorted out first.

I've had a rack before, so the idea of one tap control changes is appealing. I've looked at a lot of the same options you have, and have found many of them to be lacking. IMO the ES-8 is too expensive and not flexible enough, while the Gig Rigs & FX8 are simply too expensive. The TC G-System is also very limited in terms of external midi control; it really isn't intended to be used with another midi effects device.

That leaves a Ground Control Pro / GCX setup as the only good option IMO. Luckily prices have come WAY down on the used market; I've seen GCP/GCX pairs as low as $450 recently. I'm not sure I want to spend that much right now, and I do like how easy it is to switch individual effects on and off with my current board. You can do that to an extent with instance-access buttons on the GCP, but you can't reach down to tweak a pedal if you're using an effects rack or processor.

I'm still getting used to my new board, so I'm going to sit tight at this point. I've never been content to leave well enough alone, so I'm sure I'll be traveling this road eventually.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                    I've had a rack before, so the idea of one tap control changes is appealing. I've looked at a lot of the same options you have, and have found many of them to be lacking. IMO the ES-8 is too expensive and not flexible enough, while the Gig Rigs & FX8 are simply too expensive. The TC G-System is also very limited in terms of external midi control; it really isn't intended to be used with another midi effects device.

That leaves a Ground Control Pro / GCX setup as the only good option IMO. Luckily prices have come WAY down on the used market; I've seen GCP/GCX pairs as low as $450 recently. I'm not sure I want to spend that much right now, and I do like how easy it is to switch individual effects on and off with my current board. You can do that to an extent with instance-access buttons on the GCP, but you can't reach down to tweak a pedal if you're using an effects rack or processor.

I'm still getting used to my new board, so I'm going to sit tight at this point. I've never been content to leave well enough alone, so I'm sure I'll be traveling this road eventually.
                    I spent some time looking at the ES-8's manual last night... I also spoke to someone who uses one in a live setting. That thing has more than enough capability for what I need, and unlike the ES5, it'll use the 4-cable method without eating up a loop.

I also found one called the Musicomlab EFX MKV. Very similar to the ES8, but slightly similar. Despite that, it's more expensive. I'll keep an eye out for one of those, though.

Thanks for the advice, all!

Comment

The Musicomlab looks good as well.

There are a lot of good videos out there for the ES8, the YouTube channel etschpi42 has a whole series. Also there is a good Facebook group for the ES8 & ES5, any questions you have with even the most complex thing will be answered.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                      X