OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD

Hey guys! I'm looking for a overdrive that sounds good on a clean or crunchy channel, but for a pedal that is "always on". A good base OD tone that can get high gain. Always really warm sounding. Metal blues and rock. Right now I'm thinking
    MXR 5150 overdrive
    MXR il Torino (Or a custom badass modified)
    MESA Flux Drive

Thoughts? Experience? Opinions? Reccomendations? Thanks a ton
    Through a fender amp btw
    I have a big muff and a Fulltone Plimsoul (plim sounds great for leads and stuff) but I'm really lacking that thick sound. Thanks again. ))

OD

There are a number that come to mind:

Fulltone OCD (lower gain settings)

Wampler Tumnus (or any of the Klones)

Xotic BB Preamp or AC Booster (you might try the EP Boost, but it's full spectrum and can get thick as an always on) - the BBMB is a really great always on

Dan and Mick on That Pedal Show often mention that Andy Timmons uses a Ibanez Blues Driver (Keeley modded?) always on - I haven't tried it, but it sure sounds good through his rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VinceT; 07-04-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Re: OD

I have not played any of the pedals you mentioned. I will say I have had great luck with MRX/Fender. A Distortion+ with a Quad Reverb was my setup for years.

Comment

I'm using a Joyo US Dream in that role, of all things...Suhr Riot copy.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The best pedal I've ever used for an always on and good OD base is the Mad Professor Ruby Red. You can take the treble out if you are wanting just a warm boost and it also gets some great tones on clean and dirty settings.

The Suhr Riot/US Dream is a great pedal...but not one that I personally could leave on all the time through my setup and with my playing/music. But for the price...get a US Dream, you will love it.

Comment

I gotta go with 2 favorite 'always on' pedals. The Killing Floor and the 805. The 805 has 3 band active EQ, and more gain range than most ODs.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm a BIG fan of the Mesa Boogie Flux Drive. Bonus points if you get the Flux 5.
              Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                Fulltone OCD (lower gain settings)
                The weirdest/coolest thing about the OCD is that it's OCD. You can do ANYTHING with it. It's so versatile. Another thing that is weird is that translates to the digital world. The two I've tried (a Helix and my AT4) are insanely versatile. Slightly crunchy to blistering and everything (and I mean everything) in between.

If money wasn't an object, a Klon would be nice But not in my lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by toowrongfoo View Post
                  The weirdest/coolest thing about the OCD is that it's OCD. You can do ANYTHING with it. It's so versatile. Another thing that is weird is that translates to the digital world. The two I've tried (a Helix and my AT4) are insanely versatile. Slightly crunchy to blistering and everything (and I mean everything) in between.

If money wasn't an object, a Klon would be nice But not in my lifetime.
                  I think the OCD is the closest I've ever come to "must be on my board" - and I've played whole gigs with just that one pedal. I don't generally use it as an always on - but for heavier sounds.

I got one of the last Build Your Own Clone Silver Pony Klone kits before they got taken down (difficult to know why that happened, lots of internet opinion) - it's another great pedal and comes close to always on (especially for single coil guitars).

All that said, my one always on is the EP Boost, but it's generally set at unity as a tone thing rather than boosting signal (though I will use it that way if the guitar has weaker pickups).

Comment

Electro-Harmonix Soul Food
                    Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Timmy is also a way to go.

Comment

big timmy fan. got two of em! works great as a transparent boost, colored boost, or always on and clean up with the guitar volume. always sounds musical.

what, pray tell, is an ibanez blues driver?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          what, pray tell, is an ibanez blues driver?
                          My bad (not enough caffeine) Boss BD-2 Blues Driver!

Comment

Machine Head Pedals '72 Degrees' is one to check out. I had been interested in trying one for quite some time and was able to trade for one recently.

This (in my opinion, of course!) is one fine pedal that (for me) define "transparent, amp like, open, dynamic, organic, responsive, touch sensitive, (add your own!)".

It's a low to medium gain pedal that sounds unlike any other drive pedal I've use. It's the perfect 'always on' pedal and it plays well with other od's. I love the way it responds to playing dynamics and it's one of the best pedals I've tried in how it responds to the guitars volume and tone controls.

One of the few pedals that more than exceeded my expectations.

Comment

Working...
                            X