banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crybaby mods, "Cantrell" mod and others!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crybaby mods, "Cantrell" mod and others!

Just modded a GCB95 I got for way cheap with just a few bucks in parts to do the mods. The reasons i did these mods is probably familiar to many ppl. The heel down had lack of presence, toe down was really shrill. To me this made adjusting the pinion not a great solution, as i wanted as much use of the physical treadle movement i could get. I thought I'd share my experience since I haven't found much info on the "Cantrell" mod and the pleasant sounds this made for me!

The Cantrell SIG has a 5k pot as a variabl resistor between the sweep pot and ground that limits the toe down frequency, it really tames the shrill without having to move the pinion to a lower sweep. I used a 10k with a rotary SPDT switch at the 0ohm position.

I used the rotary switch to add an additional .01uf cap to the existing sweep cap(also .01uf) for more of a Wylde sweep.

I also did the 2.2k "mid" mod which really helped the presence of the heel down tone.

These are all really simple to do and easy to reverse if need be, but the tonal diversity with this set up is worth the trouble. Hope this helps some folks out there!

Re: Crybaby mods, "Cantrell" mod and others!

Sound demos or you don't have a modded wah pedal.

Comment

Crybabies are a wonderful platform for tweaking. Glad you're happy with how yours is going.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I feel like the two most personal things in a guitar rig are a wah and an overdrive. So many tweaks available to make them sound exactly like you want.

I wonder if the Cantrell mod was done to his wags prior to the signature model, or if he worked with Dunlop to develop it concurrently with the signature model.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Just to say, I love the Cantrell Wah. You can get them for a pretty good price and I love mine. It's just perfect.

Comment

Working...
          X