Gain staging death metal rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gain staging death metal rig

So Im wanting to set up a stereo rig to play death metal. As of now I'm playing an ibanez rg270dx tuned to drop c# going into an hm 2 with the volume at noon and dist. At 0. Then I'm going into an airis savage drive to shoot the hm2 through the roof and to tighten it up and take way the mud. Then going into an ns 2 then into the dirty channel of a marshall valvestate 2x12 with the gain at 2 o clock. With this setup I have more control over every aspect of my gain structure and distortion tones but I feel that it could be even more unique if I incorporated a b rig into the setup to be ran in conjunction with my a rig. I plan on using the bigshot aby to run two separate rigs together at the same time. I Plan on getting a crate gtx 2x12 as the second amp and run an overdrive and distortion pedal up front, setup the same as my A rig. I get no feedback, hum, or sqreeching noises because of the way I have the pedals and amp gain setup to blend together for a unique tone. I was wondering if anyone else uses this type of setup and if so or if not, what are your opinions on my setup and ways to improve it.

Re: Gain staging death metal rig

I'd have to hear it first. 1 guitar or two in the band?

After doing a gig or two with a stereo setup you'll say **** it and go back to one...not worth it imo.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I considered playing live and all of the issues that could go wrong and I thought about taking apart both combo amps and using the speakers in a 4x12 by installing an extra output jack so it's really 2 2x12 cabs in one box. Same with the amp heads for combo amps. Get a rack with 4 slots 2 for the heads and 2 for each pedalboard and I'll have all of my pieces in 2 units. All the tech would have to do is mic a speaker for each amp. This would allow setup to be a breeze. Heads to 2 jacks and plug the guitar in. I plan on getting a furman power conditioner so I can just plug all of my power into it and have only 1 thing to plug in the wall. One guitarist
      Last edited by Unorthodox; 07-14-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Seems like a lot of work for a genre whose sound is intentionally harsh and lofi. I would just use your current rig as loud as possible and add more amps when slash ifnyou need them.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          Seems like a lot of work for a genre whose sound is intentionally harsh and lofi.
          I wouldn't say that's always the intention or even the outcome (with death metal guitar tones),,,,,,,,,but sometimes it has been the former (the intention) and very often it has been the latter (the outcome).
          Last edited by dave74; 07-15-2017, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
            Seems like a lot of work for a genre whose sound is intentionally harsh and lofi. I would just use your current rig as loud as possible and add more amps when slash ifnyou need them.
            I think that the sound is more intentionally harsh and Hi Fi. Grunge is what I think of with harsh and lo fi.
            Though I agree that, with the wrong equing, it is often what is the result.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X