Tumnus overdrive or Klon ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tumnus overdrive or Klon ...

In fact Klon-pedals are not made for leads, but mainly used for coloring the tone

Ask Jeff Beck for it
    Need of FUZZ ?
    Need of CENTAUR ?

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
      Klon this and that...Timmy
      That is a lowgain pedal that sounds just as good!
      And you can adjust bottom and highs.
      Timmy with the gain roughly 1/2 way up, stacked with a Klon before it as a boost with just a tiny bit of its own grit ... I love that sound.

It's funny, the Timmy is mostly known for its transparent clean boosting abilities; but I like its character as the primary dirt source too. It's got a surprising amount of gain on tap.

Comment

I bought the Tumnus yesterday and plugged it into my Marshall JTM1 and instant gratification! With the gain past noon, my LP began to rock harder. The bass frequencies the pedal adds are not flubby at all and the higher frequencies are really sweet to the ear. Really pleased with the pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by IronyMan View Post
          I bought the Tumnus yesterday and plugged it into my Marshall JTM1 and instant gratification! With the gain past noon, my LP began to rock harder. The bass frequencies the pedal adds are not flubby at all and the higher frequencies are really sweet to the ear. Really pleased with the pedal.
          Great to hear you are happy with yours, I hope to try a Klon at some point. A Timmy or Tim is also an option for next month's shopping spree.

Comment

Originally posted by stupendous silly View Post
            Great to hear you are happy with yours, I hope to try a Klon at some point. A Timmy or Tim is also an option for next month's shopping spree.
            Thanks. I used to have a Timmy but ultimately sold it to fund an Analogman KOT v4. KOT and Tumnus stack well for low-to-mid gain tones. For outright hard rock tones I go for Friedman BE-OD. I think Timmy is OK but there might be better options - I have not tried the Tim so I cannot comment on that though.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Timmy is great as well.
              Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
              Klon this and that...Timmy
              That is a lowgain pedal that sounds just as good!
              And you can adjust bottom and highs.
              Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              yep. big timmy fan. the fact that the bass control is pre gain and treble is post gain help make it very musical sounding
              Gentlemen I am sort of charmed by the good pricing of Timmy, so I am interested, there is also so much endorsement of it on the web. I need something to add juice to some quality MIAB pedals, and possibly also push a Vox style amp. The thing is this pedal on its own somehow lacks character in demos as far as I can tell. On the other hand that 'lack of character' may be what makes it 'transparent'. What do you think about my approach here? There seem to be alternatives like Amp11 that sounded better to me by themselves..

Comment

Originally posted by IronyMan View Post
                Thanks. I used to have a Timmy but ultimately sold it to fund an Analogman KOT v4. KOT and Tumnus stack well for low-to-mid gain tones. For outright hard rock tones I go for Friedman BE-OD. I think Timmy is OK but there might be better options - I have not tried the Tim so I cannot comment on that though.
                What better alternatives to Timmy are you thinking of beside the Klon category, if you please to share? The Amp 11 seems to sound more interesting to me, but this is for overdriving other pedals and amps, it is hard to judge by their stand-alone sound.

Comment

What better alternatives to Timmy are you thinking of beside the Klon category, if you please to share? The Amp 11 seems to sound more interesting to me, but this is for overdriving other pedals and amps, it is hard to judge by their stand-alone sound.
                  I agree...imo, the Klon-type pedals really stand out as pedals for juicing your amp, or juicing a low gain OD. As a stand alone OD I think they are just "ok".
                  Not my first choice OD tone.

Comment

Gentlemen I am sort of charmed by the good pricing of Timmy, so I am interested, there is also so much endorsement of it on the web. I need something to add juice to some quality MIAB pedals, and possibly also push a Vox style amp. The thing is this pedal on its own somehow lacks character in demos as far as I can tell. On the other hand that 'lack of character' may be what makes it 'transparent'. What do you think about my approach here? There seem to be alternatives like Amp11 that sounded better to me by themselves..
                    That lack of character is exactly why the Timmy is so popular. If you want a big EQ shift when the pedal is on, look elsewhere. It's regarded as one of the most transparent pedals out there.

I do find it has a certain sound to it when adding its own dirt to the signal, but as a low gain boost, people love it because it doesn't alter their base tone much and you can tune out shrill highs or flubby bass as you get louder.

Comment

Thanks... just what I needed to hear.

Comment

Heeeh, if you're interested, a guy on facebook is trying to sell his original Klon for $2250
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Original Klon might be a good investment, like a 1958 Les Paul or 1957 Deluxe.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Just picked up a Tumnus as well, have nothing but good things to say about it, played it through my DSL100, AC30, and Fender Twin, money well spent!

Comment

I decided to wait and get J Rocket Archer Rockaway with the 6 band eq when I have the means. Still let me know if anybody thinks that pedal is a bad idea for some reason. Good to hear another person is happy with Tumnus. I am also happy I didnt give away the JTM drive though, there is something special about Weehbos IMO (over and above the price).

Comment

Working...
                              X