Multi effect pedals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi effect pedals?

Currently using a modelling amp with half a kajillion effects.
    Considering upgrade to a Vox tube amp. This is affordable (barely) but will leave little left over for effects.
    I usually play clean, sometimes mildly crunchy, almost never full overdrive/superdistortion - but I do like to have just a touch of chorus, reverb, and/or delay. On my modeling amp I am usually using the "tape delay" simulator and hall reverb.
    My favorite sound is "vox chime."

If I upgrade my amp it may or may not come with built in reverb, but it certainly won't have chorus or delay.

Are there any budget-priced multi effects pedals that will (at least temporarily) be satisfactory?
    I'd hate to upgrade my amp for subtle tone quality improvement, then immediately kill the tone with cheap effects.

I was thinking along these lines https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS70CDR
    but no idea if this, or something else, is a good choice.

Re: Multi effect pedals?

First I'd go for the amp. Then add effects one after another when time & $ permits. The MS70CDR is actually good. Still, have patience for now & don't rush in.

With Vox I suppose you are looking at the AC15? I'd skip the AC4.

Comment

This is completely player dependent, but I personally would rather have stand alone effects, adding them as time and funds allow. Right now on Reverb you can get a CE-5 for $45 and a DD-3 for $59. For more analog flavor the Memory Boy and Carbon Copy are a little more, or if you need tap tempo, the DD-5/6/7 series are available. All are boxes that have been on pro's touring rigs for years and sound really good.

What will you be using for drive sounds? Vox amps can be particular about drive pedals, that chime that sounds great clean can be fuzzy or harsh with a distortion pedal. (Unless you are cranking it up... )
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm not generally a super drive-y player.

I'll usually set the gain/volume where it's mostly clean with a soft attack or when the volume knob on the guitar is down a bit, or a bit crunchy when I hit the strings harder or twist up the guitar volume knob.

Right now I'm using a Vox modeling amp, and I basically never have a "virtual" drive or distortion pedal in the mix. I'm almost all about ambience effects - chorus, reverb, delay/echo, etc. Sometimes tremolo.

Re other question, the AC15 is probably more power than I need, but has an effects loop and built in reverb and tremolo. I'm also looking at the AC10, but it's really only marginally less cost and less effects capability built in. So probably AC15 - and probably the 1x12, not the 2x12. Re; drive effects - the AC 15 has a second channel that's a bit grittier, so if I got that I don't think I'd need a drive effect any time soon (or maybe ever).

Comment

For what you are paying for the ZOOM you could get a great Chorus and Reverb used. Delays tend to be a bit more expensive. I would opt for individual effects rather than a budget multi unit. My Dad had a saying "too much candy for a nickel."

Comment

If you don't know what you want the MS70 is a great choice imho. It sounds pretty good and is ideal to experiment.

Play with it, see what you like and use and with time start adding the "real things" to your board.

It took me a while to land on the DMM as my top delay and I'm still swapping my Reverb every few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is this your first time with a tube amp?

If so, you may want to get the amp and play with it for awhile, then see how much of that other **** you actually need. I've NEVER been a clean amp guy, but since I stole my dad's Super Reverb, I usually only plug in my Green Rhino OD, and not even that if the house is empty and I can crank the amp. Occasionally I use my wah or a few other dirt pedals, but a sweet guitar into a sweet amp sounds so good I'd rather not get anything else in the way.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Agree with focus on amp first... However make certain that you try a few fx when u demo... Some amps don't like to 'see' fx except in fx loop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Also since you like vox, these are less than 90. Good reviews... Would like to hear from someone who has one... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...QaAtDaEALw_wcB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                  What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Line6 M5 is good if you are on a budget, it has the same quality fx as the more expensive units and can be controlled by midi and/or expression pedal. This means you can expand on it later if you get some more cash. For sure it has good delay, chorus and reverbs onboard. plus it has better resale value than a zoom.

Comment

Now I dig the Line6 M5. I don't like many things Line6 does/did, for the most part. The M-series, and the stompbox modelers I dig. I use an M9 as my B rig.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X