I want to have a serious talk about the Boss M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want to have a serious talk about the Boss M3

Hey - for chorus, delay, reverb....no shame in some digitech.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The harmonizer being the biggest exception, most of the DigiTech effects are very good.

Adjusting POD-HD effect parameters is a complete pain, though expression assignment is far superior. Adjusting parameters with the M-series is a pleasure, but fine adjustment is a pain and the fine-adjustment feature would be better if it used the selector control because it doesn't have stops.
      Last edited by gregory; 08-01-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregory View Post
        Dave, the effect algorithms in HD-series PODs are supposed to be identical to those in the M-series.

Do you have demonstrative information from L6 indicating that this is not the case?
        Well, I've owned both, and they don't sound the same. Furthermore, the HD series is crippled by not allowing full control of every parameter with the expression pedal. This is not the case with the M-series.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've owned and regularly used an HD500 and a pair of M9s for many years.

Less expression control with the HD500?? Not at all! It's the other way around, actually. With the HD500 two expression pedals can control different parameters within the same effect. With the M9, one expression can be assigned on a per-column basis (e.g.: the effect stored in 1A must use the same pedal as the effect stored in 1B). I have not run into any issues where the expression pedal could adjust a parameter on the M9 that it couldn't on the HD500. I'd be interested to know which ones, though.

I'm remain highly skeptical about any claims over differences in sound between any of the individual effects. I have never seen any official word from the company that contradicts their marketing and documentation which is that the effects are the same.

I recall having had some issues with noise when using the HD500 fx loop for 4CM with amps that have a line-level effects loop, however. The FX block also imparts ~1ms of latency, which can be a problem if you're running it in parallel.

Comment

The HD500 can't have the expression pedal controlling loop volume (very important for us loopists). They have a parameter for it, but they never implemented its use with the expression pedal. The M series and even the DL4 can do this (I am pretty sure the Helix can't, though).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

While it is rare that I use a looper, I agree. That's extremely important.

Comment

So I'm GASing hard on the M9...

I was untangling pedal board and trouble shooting a power connect and bad chord and goofed knobs and......I may be out on the big 10 pedal board.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Do it...
                  Do it...
                  Do it...
                  Originally posted by The Commodores?
                  "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

You better go try out a M9 before you buy one. I played with it and thought it was really cool but I don't like how it sounds. It's very artificial sounding to me anyway.
                    Line 6 products all seem to have a certain tone to them. If you dig that then the M9 is right up your alley, it can do everything you need it to do.

The MS-3 also can do all you want and insert your dirt pedals in front of your amp. You can use Loop 3 and do the 4CM so you can put all the juicy Chorus and delays in the loop you want. Any effect you want for that matter with the exact settings you want per patch.

You also might want to check out a Boss GT-100 which also can do all that you want plus have built in expression pedal for volume or wah or both depending on how you build your patches. It also might be the perfect solution for being in a cover band and needing many different setups. The screens are clean and easy to read while standing up.
                    I would look into a Used GT-100 and give it a full test drive. Make sure you leave yourself some learning time. Once you get it, you'll fly around it and build patches in minutes to seconds.

Comment

Gt100 is great if you like the crunch sounds. I love mine for clean and fx but I hear it's crunched sounds as hollow...cocked wah sound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Working...
                      X