banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok Boss MS-3 settings, can anyone really help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok Boss MS-3 settings, can anyone really help?

Whats up everyone?
    Yes I'm struggling with the MS-3. Kinda of embarrassing as I have had the GT-8 GT10 and GT-100. I don't think I ever got any of them right as I sold them and went back to pedals.
    The ES-8 is next if I can't get the MS-3 right as that can give me what I want and I can just use my pedals and be done with this. BUT what I lose with the ES-8 is the ability to have different settings on Chorus Delay and Reverb for different songs and writing. I don't always use the same speed for delay and I have to go down there and adjust my delay pedal to what I want. Yes I would run more delay pedals or get another DD-20 thats programmable but they also have limitations and the MS-3 does not.
    So this is my last time I'm gonna go Multieffects and I'm gonna make every effort to get it right. I'm waiting on the editor as it's out this month( was supposed to be last month) and thats gonna be the deciding factor.

So to my issues.
    1) 4 cable method. I use loop 2 and that gives me 1 pedal in front and one pedal in the loop to use Loops 1 and 3. The loops are all tied together( yes stupid I know) and thats all you get. They didn't put a Loop designed for your effects loop on the MS-3 which they should have but didn't so you lose a Loop and only can now use 2 effects of your own pedals if you want the MS-3 to manage them.
    My Issue is not that it's tone loss. If I wire up my pedal board with all pedals 10 to be exact, I get no tone loss. The boss Buffers do a wonderful job at preserving my tone. I can't say that about TC Electronics Buffers as they absolutely suck. I even picked up the Bonafide stand alone buffer and that sucked ass to. I got 1 Wazacraft Boss Pedal int he chorus and my tone came right back from black to clear. The TC pedals when you have to many of them they start to darken up your tone.
    The MS-3 does the complete opposite. I lose bass and also volume output. With the MS-3 in factory settings and wired in the 4 cable method, I lose volume and bass. Strange right? This also alters my amps natural tone.
    The MS-3 has a global EQ which is completely effin stupid you can't turn it off. On the GT-100 if you leave it factory settings it's supposed to be a pass through and not alter your tone. Well thats not true and same goes with the MS-3.
    Does anyone know how to setup the Global EQ so what you put in you get out? Meaning no tone change? I lose bass and I really don't know exactly how to add back in what I'm losing. If I remove the MS-3 my bass comes back. So I know it's that. It's not my cables I use all Mogami and 10-12 foot lengths, I don't get that issue when I have my pedals in there but the MS-3 is dropping bass.
    Any help would be great.

2) Volume. Why is the volume lower with the MS-3 then without? Patch levels come in at 100 from the factory. If I modify a patch , remove all effects and run the guitar in then through the MS-3 routing and out of my amp, the volume is lower then if I remove it.
    So I tried to adjust the Patch level and get back the volume. I had to go to 147 from 100 to closely level match with and without the MS-3 in line.
    It also effects my channels differently. The clean channel doesn't seem to lose as much volume as my drive channel does. I have to use that 147 patch level for the drive channel and 128 for the cleans to match the level output of my rig when the MS-3 is not wired in.

Once I get past these 2 major issues I have with the MS-3 , I can then start building awesome patches , move effects around in front and into the effects loop at will and get back to writing and playing music. Not sit for hours trying to figure out whats wrong and how to fix it.
    I'm gonna write Boss Tech support a letter about these issues but I was hoping someone who is even more tech savvy then me can help me out.

If not I'm taking back the MS-3, give up on the dream of how it works and get a ES-8 and forget about this level of creativity.

Thanks guys for listening to me rant on.

Re: Ok Boss MS-3 settings, can anyone really help?

The MS3 has a -10dB (instrument level) output on both Left & Right. Looks like your amp has a +4dB (line level) fx loop. With the GT there was a global option to select between -10dB & +4dB. I don't think this option exists in the MS3 since the owners manual gives a spec of -10dB only, a firmware update may or maynot add it.

This is the cause of your suffering lol

Yes you will lose volume/output & also the tone will be thinner with the MS3 occupying your fx loop. If your lucky then the amp has a switch on the back to toggle between -10 & 4, otherwise

Comment

Instead of the ES8 try something else if you haven't already.

The digitech RP1000. Its been a decade or so since it has been out, it also looks like a toy & the fx chain is sorta fixed in comparison to boss gts.

BUT

Its durable/ giggable, good pc editor, simpler with few menus & parameters but most importantly its got two loops, one for stompboxes & other for the amp. It was designed to integrate with a rig, rather than take over it. Plus its cheaper these days, even new or especially used market.

I would give it a try for a change, who knows it might just work better for your rig.

Comment

Thanks Hank,
        I'm gonna search for a RP1000. I'm 100% willing to pick one up and try it out. If it doesn't work out I can always re sell it.
        The -10DB is retarded. I hated that on the GT boards I hate it on eat MS-3. It doesn't need to be there. It should be pure pass what goes in comes out.
        I love the way Boss effects sounds but they suck at Multi effects. Suck is strong but for me they do. I'm sure many people will love the MS-3 and not even care about these small details that drive me crazy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	boss-me-x2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	5801170

That's the older version of ME series & seems to me that the MS3 is a modern update on it.

It appeared interesting at first when released. I could put three amp sim pedals( tech21 character series) and with the internal fx go direct to PA system, the whole thing being a small footprint & all.

If using it in front of amp, I'm not sure why I'd consider this when it isnt that hard to turn three pedals off quickly. A zoom g3 for much less than this would work out in a similar way for fx.

I guess there is a good reason to get an ES5 over this if 4CM or amp loop use is a necessity, Boss are smart to not include builtin fx on the es5 too. Looks like they have their product range well spread out

Comment

Boss has always made great products and most feel the GT and the new MS are great as well. I'm just not one of those people and I really like Boss Pedals. I actually prefer them over most everything else made.

Comment

I e been a Boss guy forever but I haven't been able to get 'my' tone out of any of their designs newer than the ME-70. It's like anything newer does something to my signal that I can't turn off or bypass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X