Do I need a power amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a power amp?

I'm setting up my rig and I was thinking to use a cabinet and a preamp pedal to get the distortion, do I need a power amp to drive the cabinet or the preamp is enough?

Re: Do I need a power amp?

Yes you do. In simple terms the preamp shapes the tone and the power amp amplifies it enough to drive the speakers so you can hear it.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Not only do you need a power amp, but you may even need additional amplification to get the preamp level up. If it's just a 9v guitar pedal, it most likely is only capable of outputting an instrument level signal, which may not be enough to even drive a power amp, depending on how it's designed of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H
        Seems like the simplest solution would be Seymour Duncan's new Powerstage 170.
        This! The PowerStage 170 is pedal-sized, under 2 pounds, and is louder than you'd need. It sounds wonderful into a guitar cab (with a guitar preamp) or if you have a full modeling pedal (modeled preamp/power amp/speaker) into a full range cab.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking using an AMT Preamp pedal into maybe a Magnum 44 into a 1x12, hadn't thought of the PowerStage, I don't think I can find it anywhere near me ( I don't live in the US)
          Last edited by Alonso Ortega; 08-07-2017, 07:19 AM.

Comment

I hate to say it, but the ISP Technologies Stealth Ultra Lite is another good choice, ~ same wattage as the Powerstage 170 and ~$150 less. The downside is that it uses an external power supply.

Elevate your performance with ISP Technologies' cutting-edge Pro Audio gear, including the groundbreaking Decimator guitar pedal, speakers, amplifiers, and effect processors. Experience unmatched sound clarity and control for musicians and sound engineers worldwide.

Comment

Hello! Where are you located?

Comment

Santiago, Chile

Comment

Working...
                X