banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Muff into dirty channel or clean channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Muff into dirty channel or clean channel?

I was seeing what people's preference is: Big Muff into dirty channel or clean channel? Lately, I prefer my Peavey Delta Blues to be set on the dirty channel with just a little bit of dirt and then I use my boost pedal to give me an overdrive but am adding a Big Muff to my board soon. I used to have a Big Muff years ago that I used on an amp that was always a little dirty on the clean channel and the dirty channel on it sucked so I have no idea if I would have preferred it on a dirty channel. I wish I had not sold that Big Muff only to require me to buy one again. Lesson learned.

Re: Big Muff into dirty channel or clean channel?

Personally I like Big Muff into a clean channel. A dirty channel is way too much distortion and compression for me, where the attack is muffled and everything is more quiet than without.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
        https://youtu.be/aLjLBNmuO9c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        His clean tone (an overdrive) pedal is dirtier than my current settings on my drive channel.��

Comment

I think people may have their amp or pedal too dirty to do proper tone stacking. I've got the Bass Big Muff and it's a little tamer in the distortion than the Little Big Muff I had. But that LBM was magic with my bass into the TV Bassman amp with the amp's pre gain all the way up and the LBM sustain set around 50%. Mascis gets good sound combining the muff and overdrive into a clean channel but for me my dirty channel is set pretty clean and I don't want to add an overdrive since of I the Echoplex boost which gives me that extra push into overdrive.

Comment

Neither....Edge of power tube breakup where without a pedal you hit hard and it crunches up with a small volume boost from a big muff I think it really shines adding that exstra tube sizzle onto crushing muff tones. If you have a big muff with a mid control or switch try that with less gain and more volume.
            Gondola Kid
            Bandcamp
            Facebook
            JimijaymesGuitarist
            Youtube

Comment

I like my dirty channel for Muffs. I set the dirty channel to just where it starts to get slightly dirty then use the muff with low to moderate gain.

Comment

Cleanish tone with an overdrive pedal before it. Instant David Gilmour.
                Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by ThisDyingSoul76 View Post
                  I like my dirty channel for Muffs. I set the dirty channel to just where it starts to get slightly dirty then use the muff with low to moderate gain.
                  I'm with you on this. This is my strategy for now. I like to have a tiny bit of grit when I dig in hard without pedals. Then with my boost I can get some crunch. I got the Bass Muff and it sounds a little different than the LBM I used to have. It's not as scooped or aggressive, which I think will work in my favor once I get to bring it to my next jam in a couple weeks.

Comment

I do prefer the BM into an amp that's on the edge of breakup (same with the FF), and I attenuate those mids and bass to avoid the flubbbbbbbb.
                    IMO this smooths out the crispy top end of the BM. (I usually play a Vox AC15 which can get fizzy on top)

BMs and I have a tricky relationship. I add it to my board for a few days, then yank it off for a FF type circuit. The BM ends up being the specialty pedal I bring out for certain overdubs or bit parts, but never ends up living on my live rig. Except for bass. THEY ALWAYS SOUND AMAZING ON BASS.

I've owned a bunch of them trying to find the ONE RING. (currently own a Sovtek Black Russian and PI wicker) I'm thinking of giving the JHS Muffuleta a shot. Anyone here have thoughts on that one?

Mebbe I should revisit the BM through a plexi...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                      Cleanish tone with an overdrive pedal before it. Instant David Gilmour.
                      You know what......... That is a great idea. Imma try it!

I've steered away from trying to stack with the BM because it already sounds like dinosaurs fighting an avalanche, but it's time to try it out again.

Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Big Muff into dirty channel or clean channel?

Personally I run it on a 5e3 at crunch.

The point is that you don't want your extra dirt to be compressed out. I'll try again with another video listen to the TS on the mesa. That's what you want to avoid. IMHO.

And Gilmour runs the boost after the Big Muff.
                        Last edited by Blille; 08-07-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masonian View Post
                          You know what......... That is a great idea. Imma try it!

I've steered away from trying to stack with the BM because it already sounds like dinosaurs fighting an avalanche, but it's time to try it out again.

Thanks for the idea!
                          The overdrive actually smooths out the splattiness and gives it that singing violin tone.
                          Nope...

Comment

I used to own a Fuzzface clone and it sucked through a clean channel. Thin and fizzy.
                            With a hint of dirt in the amp, DAYUM. Great stuff, it came alive.
                            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Big Muff into the lead channel of a Rectifier is actually pretty cool. Somehow it manages to sound bigger, chunkier and more aggressive than just the amp on it's own. Just don't try to palm mute...
                              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
                              X