• Ibanez SD-9M, TS-9Dx and Boss DS-1

Click image for larger version

Name:	pedals.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	5845277

Yesterday I tested my pedals side By side. Here's a short review

Boss DS-1:

What can I say about this one that has not been said before. Plenty of distortion when dimed. I did not find anything special tones when I dialed the distortion down. To Me this pedal is perfect for thrash metal and other styles when one needs plenty of distortion.

Ibanez Sonic Distortion Mod:

This one has less gain than the DS-1 when gain is dimed. Then there's the gain boost switch. When turned on the level of distortion is similar to the DS-1. Then there's the mid boost switch. When turned on there's a noticable boost in the mids. I find the mid boost is good in a good way not nasal. Overall I find this pedal similar to the Boss one.

Ibanez Tubescreamer 9 Dx:

In the normal mode it is the normal Tubesceamer. It has three other modes. The two middle ones are bit different than the normal mode, but in the turbo mode it has plenty of gain. I found it bit similar like the Soul Food when it has the gain dimed.

Re: Ibanez SD-9M, TS-9Dx and Boss DS-1

I love ALL of those pedals for different reasons. Talk to us some more!

Examples:

I would not use the DS1 for a Distortion into clean amp sound. However, it is an excellent addition to a dirty Marshall 800 style amp sound!

I really like the DX9. If I had my life to live over I'd get one of these instead of the TS9. It does TS9 obviously, but can add more booty or gain. Very flexible, or just TS( if thats what you want. Of course, didn't exist when I got my TS9....Still the ultimate goose a clean Fender for grit, or tighten a Marshall, or boost into another pedal pedal.

I REALLY dig the SD9m. I look at that as a super flexible pedal. It could do a TS( cranked sound if you want, or it could do a DS1 sound. The switches really add to it. I'd get this over a regular one any day. Of those three - for me - that's the one to own. Id use this one with a clean amp over the others.

If you dig under-drive, get the DX9. If you dig over-drive to distortion, get the SD9m. And as always DS1 + Marshall 800 = ahhhhh (as it always did).
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Re: Ibanez SD-9M, TS-9Dx and Boss DS-1

[QUOTE=Aceman;4136804]I love ALL of those pedals for different reasons. Talk to us some more!

Examples:

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      I would not use the DS1 for a Distortion into clean amp sound. However, it is an excellent addition to a dirty Marshall 800 style amp sound!
      I did run it into the clean channel. I will try it on a dirty channel both ways: amp just dirty with the DS-1 providing most of the gain and the other way round. Come to think of it Gary Moore used the pedal with a strat in the early eighties.

I really like the DX9. If I had my life to live over I'd get one of these instead of the TS9. It does TS9 obviously, but can add more booty or gain. Very flexible, or just TS( if thats what you want. Of course, didn't exist when I got my TS9....Still the ultimate goose a clean Fender for grit, or tighten a Marshall, or boost into another pedal pedal.
      I too find the pedal very versatile. So many options compared to a normal overdrive.

I REALLY dig the SD9m. I look at that as a super flexible pedal. It could do a TS( cranked sound if you want, or it could do a DS1 sound. The switches really add to it. I'd get this over a regular one any day. Of those three - for me - that's the one to own. Id use this one with a clean amp over the others.

If you dig under-drive, get the DX9. If you dig over-drive to distortion, get the SD9m. And as always DS1 + Marshall 800 = ahhhhh (as it always did).
      You're spot on with your comments.

Comment

Working...
      X