Thoughts on multi effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on multi effects

I have always enjoyed messing with multi effects but I never found them gig friendly for all the usual reasons. Too shrill, way too much gain, drastic volume differences between patches.
    Most multi effects are designed CD quality hi-fidelity where guitar amps are basically low fi. My GT-8 has a low pass filter that I set to 4kHz . I also set the high pass filter about 100hz.
    When I read that people are using FRFR amps for guitar it doesnt make much sense to me.

Re: Thoughts on multi effects

While I agree about multieffects (and that's simply personal preference), FRFR amps are meant for modelers with amp, cab, speaker and sometimes mic modeling. Running a RP80 into one would sound terrible.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Exactly what PFD said about FRFR amps, it's basically a mini PA for modelers.

As far as making gig-able patches, starting from scratch is the only way. Yes, setting up low and high end roll-offs usually helps, but if you are having drastic volume changes between patches, you can go in and edit the volumes in the patches (not the overall volume of the unit).

FWIW, I run a GT-100 direct a church, it's definitely not the best amp modeler, but the effects are very usable and it is possible to get usable tones from the built in models although I've been experimenting with some of the Mooer preamps in the loop and bypassing the amp models. I rarely switch patches, I mostly run in manual (stompbox) mode with one of the footswitches set to switch between a clean Fender-ish model and a medium-high gain Marshall or something on the other channel. I'm not sure if the GT-8 can do the dual amp thing.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        While I agree about multieffects (and that's simply personal preference), FRFR amps are meant for modelers with amp, cab, speaker and sometimes mic modeling. Running a RP80 into one would sound terrible.
        FWIW, the RP80 has cabinet modeling and the manual indicates that it can be plugged directly into a mixing console.

Comment

I think the OP is just not spending enough time editing. As always, less is almost always more. Especially with multi-fx units. The amount of gain is up to you. Most have a lot of EQ options - use them well (but too much!), and of course, the presets are designed for use in Guitar Center.

As for the volume, I have used them live no problem. Again - that's all about spending the time, getting a little feedback, and tweaking.

And yes - the FRFR is exactly what you want for one. Most modelers actually sound great in headphones. As for multi-fx, try first into the front, and modulation/delay/.verb into a loop.

What exactly are you using?
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

RE consistency...Create a basic vanilla patch based of your favorite clean sound, mid grind sound and high gain sound and any other types you use a lot..but for most of us three is a good start. Now make sure all three basic patches are at the same level as you switch between them. Keep these in a bank (I used bank 1) and don't screw with them again. Now as you need to add effects you copy the basic tone to a new patch and then sprinkle on the goody....verb, delay ....whatever. Now every new patch you create will work with all your others. If you need a boost patch that's OK...just add a few ticks to the level and bam...lead patch. Same thing if you need a patch that's a little bit weaker...lop off a few dB. A/B them until you're happy. My old GT-6 was invaluable back in my band days keeping my stuff consistent from day to day. Just set the amp level for the stage and sit back with no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by gregory View Post
              FWIW, the RP80 has cabinet modeling and the manual indicates that it can be plugged directly into a mixing console.
              Sorry I was just grabbing one of those old Digitechs out of my ***. I think you get my point though, one of the simple multi effect pedals.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Multi-effects are an extremely mixed bag, too, and I suspect that the people who generalise about them primarily will have experiences with the lower-end models. There is a world of difference between a Zoom multi-effect or (to move slightly up the scale) a Boss board, and something like a G-System or an FX8!

SlyFoxx has given some good advice regarding how to get started with one, though. Start with something basic, and build thence – A/B as needed, until a patch adds the effect but otherwise changes the sound minimally. Then, once it is set up, you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

Comment

My beef with multi FX pedals is they always color the sound. Why would I want an "amp sim" and "cab sim" when I already have a great rig? As much as I like the simplicity of having just one thing to plug in, I can't get over how it's hard to bypass all the junk on there.

Comment

I would consider going for something like this... if I didn't already have a ton of FXs

Marked down 20% to promote a new enclosure style! See photo of the bare box, which will be powder coated black with our logo on the front face. Dimensions:  17" x 4" footprint.  3" tall. These units are custom made to order with whatever 8 effects you want.  Check the list bel...

Comment

Like all the things on that boo-teek board don't color your sound.

How did multi-fx all of a sudden become synonymous with an all-in-one amp modeling pedal?

Comment

I did start from scratch by setting the tuner to bypass and matching the clean sound and level to the bypassed sound then copying that to the first three banks.my plan was to use the GT8 in manual mode with no preamp or cab sims into a Vox MV50 which doesnt have an effects loop But I found i n manual mode on the gt8 there is no good boost so I am forced to use it in patch mode with preamps cause the preamps have a solo boost feature. I can get them sounding pretty good through the front of the amp if the gains are set very low 5-10 range.
                        I knew I should have waited for a Zoom G5 to turn up!

Comment

High end multis (Line6, Fractal) meet or exceed any pedals I've ever owned. Priced below those, you start running into issues. I dig my Line 6 M9 a lot, but there are tons of low-to-mid-level multieffects that are noisy and destroy your tone. You gotta sit there and try them, and that is difficult in a store.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by frostopsy View Post
                            My beef with multi FX pedals is they always color the sound. Why would I want an "amp sim" and "cab sim" when I already have a great rig? As much as I like the simplicity of having just one thing to plug in, I can't get over how it's hard to bypass all the junk on there.
                            Then turn them off or get something like the Fractal FX8 or TC G-System which are high end effects only.

Comment

Originally posted by ratiug View Post
                              I did start from scratch by setting the tuner to bypass and matching the clean sound and level to the bypassed sound then copying that to the first three banks.my plan was to use the GT8 in manual mode with no preamp or cab sims into a Vox MV50 which doesnt have an effects loop But I found i n manual mode on the gt8 there is no good boost so I am forced to use it in patch mode with preamps cause the preamps have a solo boost feature. I can get them sounding pretty good through the front of the amp if the gains are set very low 5-10 range.
                              I knew I should have waited for a Zoom G5 to turn up!
                              On the GT-100 there is a solo function in the OD/Dist pedal settings too, not sure exactly what you are looking for. You could also set up an EQ to for a boost and turn it on and off.

Comment

Working...
                              X