NPD (Vintage Boss)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD (Vintage Boss)

80's MIJ BF-2. Serial is lost but based on what I could find, made somewhere between 1984 and 1990. Green label.

Not really a fan of extreme effects but was messing around with the flanger in one of my amp plugins and found I really like the chorusy sound I get from it when turning down the swirl. Decided I definitely need one Settings are as shown in the picture. It does the characteristic swirly white noise thing but hopefully noise gate will sort that out once I get it setup on my pedal board.

Thumbscrew is busted so improvised a temporary solution while replacment is being shipped. Regular machine screw + cap from old busted bicycle valve.
    Attached Files
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: NPD (Vintage Boss)

Wow, very cool fix! Flangers are sometimes strange to me. Sometimes I go through periods where I absolutely hate them, and sometimes I really love them. Same thing with chorus.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Congrats!

One of my first pedals was a BF-2. It was a must to play the new hit song "Are you gonna go my way".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
        Congrats!

One of my first pedals was a BF-2. It was a must to play the new hit song "Are you gonna go my way".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oooouh! And now I know what to do after band practice tonight
        1973 Aria 551
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Flange as chorus - excellent. I do that every now and again...some pedals better at it than others.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I use a delay as a chorus, too, sometimes. It needs to be a modulated delay with control over the modulation (not just a button).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I use a delay as a chorus, too, sometimes. It needs to be a modulated delay with control over the modulation (not just a button).
              Buddy of mine says that's the problem with his Carbon Copy - the modulation sweep is too wide by default.
              I've tried doing the modulated delay thing with my Flashback. Its fun, but gets loud due to the way the pedal works. Alternatively, you can use the custom bank to create a standalone chorus effect, but then you lose the delay.
              1973 Aria 551
              1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Awesome grab!

I like to use my flange as a chorus as well, in fact the only time I use a chorus as a chorus is when I'm trying to exactly copy a sound that uses it. Otherwise I find a flange set real low to be a much nicer effect.
                Originally posted by The Commodores?
                "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Awesome score! I picked up a similar green label MIJ BF-2 maybe 8 years ago, and I love it. I used to use it in front but it's now exclusively in the loop.

If you have a power supply that can give it 12v (like its original ACA adapter) you can get more headroom and airiness. Any normal 9v adapter compresses it a bit more and you will get a bit of grit in the sound, at least that's what mine does.

I usually go between two sounds depending on the song, with the manual control at about half and the resonance at 10-11 o'clock, you can come close to the early Lifeson sound. Max manual and put reso at half and you're getting into chewy swirl territory.

Great pedal. Enjoy yours!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

So many people don't like 5h3 bf-2 but most of my favourite modulation heavy bands used them like the cure and the stone roses. My general setting is manual between 7 and 10 o clock rate 12 I clock depth between 12 and 5 o clock and res between 7 and 9. Almost chorus like with a thicker more metallic edge. Have fun with it man it's underrated, no it isn't an ada or mxr or electric mistress it's a boss and sounds it's own way.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
                    Gondola Kid
                    Bandcamp
                    Facebook
                    JimijaymesGuitarist
                    Youtube

Comment

Working...
                    X