banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vapor Trail Out Front with High Gain Amp: How Do You Set it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor Trail Out Front with High Gain Amp: How Do You Set it?

I can't use my FX loop; it's worthless. SO I'm running my VP out front, after my OD pedal, SD-1. It seems pretty loud out front and I want to use it for some solo/lead settings, to just beef up the sound. How best can I use his and what settings does anyone recommend?

Thanks!

Re: Vapor Trail Out Front with High Gain Amp: How Do You Set it?

What's wrong with your FX loop?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I don’t have a Vapor Trail, so can’t comment on specific settings.

Generally, to widen sound, the trick is to use a fairly short delay time, small number of repeats, and low mix, so the delay is there but “not there”. The way I test this is to play a long, fast passage and if I notice the repeats while playing, it’s too much. Ideally, I only notice the repeats when I stop the run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hate delay into a dirty amp. Sucks.

I'd go dirt pedal into delay into clean amp.

As you said - have to set it so low you almost can't use them IMO. Or at least not really use their full range of tones/sounds/effects.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          I hate delay into a dirty amp. Sucks.
          Unless you're going for that effect where the repeats gradually clean up, I agree.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
            What's wrong with your FX loop?
            I'm not sure, but it's a modded amp by BFG and Brian said changing the tube loop would alter the tone of the amp and I don't wanna do that. Do those Ebtech line converters work?

Comment

This is why I installed an FX loop in my single-channel amp and why I'll never buy another amp without a functional loop. Delay and modulation don't work for me out front.

Comment

I don't like delay into a dirty amp at all, so my solution would be the Vapor Trail's insert jack into another clean amp. Just run the delays through there, and use a volume pedal to alter their volume in real time (I do this).
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
                  I'm not sure, but it's a modded amp by BFG and Brian said changing the tube loop would alter the tone of the amp and I don't wanna do that. Do those Ebtech line converters work?
                  Is the problem that the loop is too hot for the pedal? If so, yes the Ebtech converters work, I had to use one with a Randall RM50 that had a really hot loop. What kind of amp is it? There are ways to lower the send level and pick the signal back up on the return that shouldn't drastically alter the tone.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                      Thar you go! I'm not big on delay in general, but when I do use one this is how I set it up. It really helps to find one with some sort of tone control, or mod it to darken the repeats.

Comment

Just curious as to what kind of amp the OP is using?

Comment

Working...
                        X