Volume pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume pedal

Like many of us, I'm into dialing in a dirty tone and varying it with the volume knob. Earlier today, I watched a Tim Pierce video where he demonstrated how using a pedal rather than the pot sounds different. It got me thinking that I've never really used a volume pedal, and maybe I'd like one.

I like the feel of Dunlop wahs, so should I just go for one of their volume pedals, or is there something better?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Volume pedal

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Like many of us, I'm into dialing in a dirty tone and varying it with the volume knob. Earlier today, I watched a Tim Pierce video where he demonstrated how using a pedal rather than the pot sounds different. It got me thinking that I've never really used a volume pedal, and maybe I'd like one.

I like the feel of Dunlop wahs, so should I just go for one of their volume pedals, or is there something better?
    I used an Ernie Ball volume pedal for years. I liked it better than the Dunlop because of the larger treadle (size 13s man) and because the higher tension gave it a smoother feel. It was also easier to do fine adjustment and harder to move it by mistake. I haven't been using it much lately because I'm using both channels of my Jubilee heads now instead of just riding volume on the lead channel. If I go back to a simpler rig where I'm riding volume for clean, I'll put it back on my board.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

First figure out if you want passive or active and if you'll put it first or after a buffer. If you want to simulate a volume control on a guitar, you'll want a 250K. If you are putting after a buffer a 25K will give a smoother taper. On the active side, something like a Morley gives a super smooth taper.

I've used an EB Jr. for a long time but... The new Dunlop Volume X line is really nice. (Three sizes, the Mini fits anywhere and the jumbo one is huge and on Musicians Friend SDOTD every so often). They can be used as both volume and expression easily.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Volume pedal

I've used EBs for 20+ years, but I only put them on the board if I know there's a track in the set list that needs it, like a slide number or ambient swell thing. It shaves off some sweet treble I want at my disposal, so the volume pedal only gets plugged in if I really need it.
        Last edited by beaubrummels; 09-25-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. I'm surprised there isn't a 1M volume pedal for less loading when it's first in the chain.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

My foot is a 12, but I get along with the Dunlop size/shape really well.

It's likely going to be the first thing in the chain, in front of a Crybaby, and some dirt pedals. I guess I'm simulating a guitar's volume knob... sort of. I'm going to use the pedal to control the overall gain level, but I don't really care if it works exactly like the volume knob, as long as it works well.

Any opinions on the Visual Sound Volume? I know it's old and discontinued, but the LEDs on the side look sweet.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I recently got an Ernie Ball VP Jr. Had it less than a month, and the kevlar string hasn't broken yet (famous last words?)

I put a buffered Fulldrive 3 in front of it. My current pedal mess:

[IMG][/IMG]

Originally posted by nedcronin
              Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
              Originally posted by metalmachine
              dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

I recently got an Ernie Ball VP Jr. Had it less than a month, and the kevlar string hasn't broken yet (famous last words?)
                That is hideously annoying to fix and it alone is the reason I would really advice never to buy one.

I had EB VP jr.for a week or two. Got it used, previous owner had messed up the fix, so it didn't move all the way open. I spent days swearing and hurting my fingers trying get it right. When I got it fixed, I sold it off as quickly as possible.

I've been happy with Boss FV500. Not quite as smooth as EB, but way better desinged. It does have not too convincing looking pot, but it's also easy and very cheap to replace. Has worked perfectly thus far.
                Last edited by Jacew; 09-29-2017, 05:30 PM.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Inkstained View Post

I put a buffered Fulldrive 3 in front of it. My current pedal mess:

[IMG][/IMG]
                  The None-More-Black set of pedals. Just need a black board to mount them to.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    The None-More-Black set of pedals. Just need a black board to mount them to.
                    Going into a wine-red DRRI ...

Originally posted by nedcronin
                    Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                    Originally posted by metalmachine
                    dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Working...
                    X