Upgrade valve for pre amp pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upgrade valve for pre amp pedal

I have JJECC83S on its way to me and am hoping that this will improve things enough for me to enjoy the Blackstar pedal.
    The sound I am after is similar to what I am getting from the THR10C and its class A model with its pedal compressor added to give a boost to its overdrive.
    The reason I am going to a pedal for this sound is so I can use either my line 6 delay or modulation stompboxes as the THR has no effects loop (even though its built in effects are good and its class A sound is almost perfect the way I have it dialled in ATM).
    I may build a modest pedal board with the three units I have mentioned and run them in to the THR guitar input on a clean setting with just a touch of reverb and noise gate.

Comment

Re: Upgrade valve for pre amp pedal

Well, the JJECC83S Gold pin has arrived and I have it fitted in the HT Dual.
      Unlike most you tube videos I just removed the front grille for access (as I have medium sized hands I did not find the confined area too bad to work in ) and easily swapped the tubes over in about two minutes!
      There is a noticeable difference in the sound from the pedal with it being less harsh and a bit more harmonic. The EQ seems a bit more effective too.
      I was a little leery about changing the tube from the front as there is only one you tube video showing someone doing it this way and he was fiddling and faffing away for over five minutes which did not fill me with confidence but, I was surprised with just how easily I managed it especially as the gold pin valves are said to be harder to push in to the socket than the normal ones but it went in much easier than I thought it would. JOB DONE!

.......After a few short sessions with the new tube I am now happier with the way the HT Dual sounds.
      Definately less fizzy and ragged, smoother in the upper mids and highs plus it is still remarkably quiet, no discernable background hiss.
      I was a little worried over conflicting opinions over JJ tubes but the ecc83s gold pin seems to be a decent performer.
      Last edited by evan47; 10-07-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X