Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunn amps in pedal form ?

Folks, is there even such a thing ?

Referring to both the (SS) Beta Lead, and the all tube/valve Model T.

Any info will be great
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Re: Sunn amps in pedal form ?

Yeah, I've seen a Sunn T amp in a box, similar to all the marshall amps-in-a -box, but only a couple compared to the zillions of marshall pedals.( They also have a few Hiwatt in a box pedals, somewhat similar in theory?)
    I'm thinking it's weird, because w/ a marshall Pedal, you are , I think, *adding eq like to simulate the mid crunch. I guess it's possible to Eq a pedal to subtract stuff to make it a big fat loud clean, but wouldn't that be a Clean Boost with maybe a OD section that mixes the two channels..but the Moel T , or so I've heard is just ball busting clean, so not sure.Just guessing.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 10-04-2017, 08:13 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

The model T is ball busting clean until it's pretty cranked. Overdriving that 150w ultralinear power amp is a devastating tone.

OP, you want a model feT by Electronic Audio Experiments for your model T in a box and a Sunnbather by Abominable Electronics for your beta tones.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

EQD Acapulco Gold is supposed to be a pedal based on the "VIBE" of a cranked Model T.

Also, the great folks over at tagboareffects have turned the preamps from the model T and Beta into pedals (using Jfets for the T and opamps for the Beta). Should work quite good and should be fun builds if you're so inclined.

Still, pedals will indeed give you the "vibe" but there's no real substitute for the real thing, as usual.

Enjoy!

Comment

Todd Rundgren used a cranked original Model T (Not the Fender made RI) for years, but he had an unorthodox system for it. It was located off-stage, miked, and all effects were added to the mic'd line. Probably aimed at a wall off stage so it didn't blast everyone in a smaller club.
          Al

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
            EQD Acapulco Gold is supposed to be a pedal based on the "VIBE" of a cranked Model T.

Also, the great folks over at tagboareffects have turned the preamps from the model T and Beta into pedals (using Jfets for the T and opamps for the Beta). Should work quite good and should be fun builds if you're so inclined.

Still, pedals will indeed give you the "vibe" but there's no real substitute for the real thing, as usual.

Enjoy!
            The A Gold is the only one i 'know' of . . . and do not like it, as it is a ''fully cranked'' Model T in a box.
            Not all that great if i want, or prefer a Model T at say, 50, or 60% gain.
            But thanks for the suggestion mate !

Deff gonna look into the other one !!!
            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              The model T is ball busting clean until it's pretty cranked. Overdriving that 150w ultralinear power amp is a devastating tone.

OP, you want a model feT by Electronic Audio Experiments for your model T in a box and a Sunnbather by Abominable Electronics for your beta tones.
              Thanks - sounds good.

Gonna look into it tight now.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                The A Gold is the only one i 'know' of . . . and do not like it, as it is a ''fully cranked'' Model T in a box.
                Not all that great if i want, or prefer a Model T at say, 50, or 60% gain.
                But thanks for the suggestion mate !

Deff gonna look into the other one !!!
                I get that... you're making me want to build the preampsturnedpedals now... hope I don't get the building but back too hard... the basement is already full of pedals...ha!

Comment

I have no affiliation with them ... Guitar PCB has a pretty interesting take on it. J-fet based. Called the Sunn-T. Got an email on them maybe a week ago. Not a kit, just the PCB. They have a couple of places that they endorse that sell their boards packaged in kits. But I don't think the Sunn-T is offered in kit form. Anyway, this could be something of interest if one is willing to source their own parts and drill an enclosure. Out of stock now but I'm sure they'll get some more soon. http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/websto...s/show/7460306

Comment

Working...
                  X