Favorite wah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite wah

Back in the day, when someone asked about a wah, the general consensus was the Fulltone Clyde McCoy. Is this still the case?

The only two wahs I've ever spent any time with are the GCB-95 and the Morley Bad Horsey. I like how fat the Morley is, but overall I prefer the tone of the Crybaby. I've been using a crappy wah for years, so I'm happy to sit back and save up a little longer for something really good.

Overall tonally, I'm old school, bluesy rock and funk.

Is there a sweet drop in board for my Crybaby, or do I need to go for something like the Fulltone?

Where should I start?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Favorite wah

I have the Crybaby Classic with the red (?) fasel. I had previously had a bad horsie and a 95Q. Both of them were switchless which is a nice feature but neither played well with my amp. Neither is true bypass. I opted for the CB Classic on some advise and I couldn’t be happier. It sounds amazing has a great sweep range and is hardware bypass.

Comment

I like the variable ones with external adjustments best, like the 535Q and MC404. It's like having multiple wah pedals which can be changed on the fly.

You can get replacement boards for GCB-95 and Vox 845/847; if you do, you should get the true bypass versions. But, it's not hard to mod the stocks boards yourself and to do true bypass. Lots of instructions online.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
        Back in the day, when someone asked about a wah, the general consensus was the Fulltone Clyde McCoy. Is this still the case?
        <snip>
        Is there a sweet drop in board for my Crybaby, or do I need to go for something like the Fulltone?

Where should I start?
        If you're looking for a sweet drop-in board, check out Wilson Effects. On my board I have a Vox Union Jack shell with Wilson's Signature Wah board. It's inspired by the Vox Clyde McCoy, but it's tweakable like a 535Q, MC404, or Teese RMC3. He also offers a ton of other wahs if you're looking for something a bit more unique.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I too have the Cybaby Classic described above - it’s great, though I did adjust the range down a little, just to ease of the really shrill end. Of all the wash out there that have interested me, the Xotic looks just about everything I could ever want - and their stuff is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I also love the adjustable wahs.

My Dime CryBaby from Hell is basically a 535Q with red Fasel, camo graphics and skate tape, and lots of adjustment. Any settings I've ever used have sounded great, and I can easily dial in the sweep I feel like.

I also have a V847 modded for a DC jack, the vintage flavour isn't my go-to, because it's very full and thick. It doesn't get as much love as the CFH but still a great classic wah

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I need to start playing a bunch of them.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                Thanks for the recommendations. I need to start playing a bunch of them.

Yes you do. After decades of neglect, starting in the 2000's there has been a wave of quality wahs introduced. Every kind imaginable.
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

The Dunlop website has a chart listing all of their wah offerings in a nice and easy to compare chart.

Comment

My favourite is the Cantrell wah. Has a nice midrange with a narrow sweep... never gets too trebly or too bassy.
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I'm a big fan of Teese. My RMC3 more tuning options than the Dunlops, true bypass, Fuzz Friendly output buffer so you can actually use it with fuzz and it drives high gain well. You can go as throaty as a Bass wah, Hendrix Wah or Cantrell wah and as bright as you want.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                        My favourite is the Cantrell wah. Has a nice midrange with a narrow sweep... never gets too trebly or too bassy.
                        Does the Cantrell wah sound like the AIC song "Grind"?

Comment

I have three wahs at the moment.

The Crybaby Classic is my "jam bag" pedal (for when I don't want to take my full pedalboard.) I think it is a good all-around pedal, definitely a step above the basic model.

I also have a VOX Clyde McCoy Reissue. It is very clean and clear, making it perfect for funk rhythms ala "Shaft".

But neither one has replaced my 1972 Thomas Organ Crybaby on my pedalboard. Terry Kath of Chicago was one of the best with a wah, and this one really captures his gritty tone. Maybe it's the DOD boost in front of it, maybe it because I have it wired to a power supply using a battery clip adaptor, or maybe it's just that I've had it for so long...but this one has that sound.

If only I had Terry's speed in my fingers. (sigh!)

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

First pedal I ever bought was a late 70's Thomas Organ CryBaby for $65. I thought I found a screamin deal on a secret holy Hendrix grail. But it was noisy and sounded awful. It didn't sound like any record I'd ever heard. I swore off ever wanting or needing a wah for decades.

Years later I needed a wah for a recording session. I ponied up the money for a Fulltone Clyde, convinced I was wasting my money and regretting it wholly before I even put the money down. When I plugged it in and heard it back, it was like James Brown's gold cape had been thrown over me and I was the king of all things funk and wah. It sounded like every record I'd ever heard with wah on it.

I learned you get what you pay for. Not all advertising is hype. Some of these boutique builders are real geeks that deliver the goods.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              Not all advertising is hype. Some of these boutique builders are real geeks that deliver the goods.

True, there are a number of very sharp guys today building wahs, that are doing incredible things, whether it's recreating the best of the original wahs, making them more versatile, or coming up new ideas altogether. Like you, I got away from wahs for decades, and last year after listening to a lot of Hendrix, I decided I needed to get a good wah or two. I was blown away by what's being built now, and how many guys are modding theirs to dial in the precise sounds they want, just like we're doing with pickups. This is the best time ever for wahs. There's a whole range of high-quality expensive ones, but there's a lot of pretty good ones that are more affordable too, and some them can easily be modded. GCB-95's and 845's/847's are an artist's palette to create with. You can turn those into anything you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X