banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affordable ways to play a chord and keep it forever while soloing on top of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable ways to play a chord and keep it forever while soloing on top of it?

I was watching a video and the guy hits a key in his computer and the comes a chord that sustains forever so the guy can demonstrate the different modes he can play on top of it. Loved it, it was not a loop of a strumming chord, it was more like when you play a chord on the keyboard and just don't release the keys. Now I was wondering, is there any affordable way to do that with guitar pedals? I know I can strum the guitar and play a loop, no big deal, but how about a keyboard like sound that has infinite sustain? Think of YJM soloing and hitting a kind of keyboard on the floor but not just notes, a real chord. I think it is not just great for practicing but it inspires you in a different way and you won't always be able to play with a keyboard player when the inspiration arrives suddenly.

Here is the video to better explain what I mean, it happens at 26:00
    Who took my guitar?

Re: Affordable ways to play a chord and keep it forever while soloing on top of it?

Electro Harmonix Freeze. Under $100 used now.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Re: Affordable ways to play a chord and keep it forever while soloing on top of it?

you can probably do it for next to nothing with what you already own (i.e. a computer)
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Put a few small, heavy objects on your keyboard in the chord you want. Fishing weights might work.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The Freeze pedal is like a piano sustain pedal for guitar. It works well. An infinite reverb also works, if it keeps the 'tails' on when you switch it off.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

+1 on the EHX freeze pedal.

Comment

a looper may do the trick
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

With a looper, you would hear the beginning and end points unless you deliberately try to conceal them. I do this with an Ebow and a looper,overdubbing at different points along the sustained notes.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment: Use a looper.

Just play a rhythm part and let it roll. Or use a Youtube backing track. A lot more easy AND natural.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Sounds like the EHX Freeze is exactly what you’re looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      The Freeze pedal is like a piano sustain pedal for guitar. It works well. An infinite reverb also works, if it keeps the 'tails' on when you switch it off.
                      I really prefer an infinite reverb to create a pad. The freeze makes the guitar sound a bit like bagpipes IMHO. It doesn’t sustain in a natural way like a sustainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X