NPD - Mad Professor Royal Blue OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD - Mad Professor Royal Blue OD

I've never owned a Mad Professor, Bearfoot or BJFE pedal, this is my first. It wouldn't have even crossed my radar if not for the Matt Schofield episode of That Pedal Show. Matt describes how when you roll back the volume it gets brighter as it cleans up rather than getting darker. On the site it specifically says, for best results do not use a buffer between your guitar and this pedal. Color me intrigued.... I wanted to give it a go just to see.

With PGS closing and dumping inventory on Reverb, they allowed coupon stacking to get some cool stuff at cheaper prices than used. Perfect opportunity....

I've been using it with the Mesa and Fender, and it is a really cool pedal. The gain ranges from slight breakup to Fuzz levels of saturation. The EQ section is active, so it can boost or cut Treble/Bass. It's pretty flat overall. (Mid Boost with bass/treble back and mid scoop with bass/treble up) The input impedance is pretty low at 140k, I think that's a big factor in how touch sensitive it is. It's really awesome to setup at heavy distortion with a hard pick, I really like how rolling back the volume gives a ton of useful tones from a bright mostly clean tone to a mid grind rhythm sound up to a fully saturated lead tone. It's does it as well as a fuzz face, but the tone when rolled back is more standard overdrive but brighter rather than darker.

Super fun and versatile overdrive that reacts unlike a lot of other overdrives. This might be my new favorite mid gain pedal.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: NPD - Mad Professor Royal Blue OD

interesting, might have to find one to test out

Comment

Congrats on the new score! I've liked everything I had from Mad Professor! Most of them are very touch sensitive from my experience.

Comment

Nice. Trey had me go on a hunt for a Mad Professor Golden Cello a couple years ago and I found one and I love it. No doubt you'll love that pedal. I recently acquired a Tech 21 Fly Rig RK-5 Ritchie Kotzen signature. It's awesome and compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

I really like mine also... I keep all controls at about 10 O'Clock...
          So it's a Low to Med Gain...
          I like it more than the Timmy and the Barber LTD SR for this setting.
          "Play like a Champion"
          PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
          Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
          Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

interesting. i love timmy and have an ltd that i love (at 18v) as well. what does this do that those dont?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              interesting. i love timmy and have an ltd that i love (at 18v) as well. what does this do that those dont?
              Active Treble and Bass, shelving style instead of Timmy’s cut EQ. 140K input impedance instead of Timmy’s much higher impedance (1M equivalent maybe?) makes it more interactive with your guitar’s volume, like a Fuzz Face.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

gotcha, that input impedance is really low which is why i asked

Comment

Consistency of gain or the amount of grit or smoothness is always a subjective subject... lol
                  But I think the MPRBO is smoother than the Timmy and has more transparent Chime than the Barber.
                  "Play like a Champion"
                  PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
                  Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
                  Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Working...
                  X