I like the BB Preamp, but I want more gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the BB Preamp, but I want more gain

Basically, I love my BB, and I wanna keep it as a mid-gain overdrive for most of my playing. But, when I wanna get more gain, I would love to have a pedal dedicated to that task.

Mostly for lead work, singlecoil Strat guitars, with the occasional Pearly Gates-equipped Tradition. Playing style is, at least what I'm aiming for, something of a cross between Kee Marcello and Yngwie Malmsteen, and tone-wise I am looking for that smooth, singing lead tone. My amp is a Laney L5 Studio, and I'm using the cab emulation.

I hear the Riot may do the trick, have tried it in the past and been on the fence. Also heard great things about the Wampler Pinnacle line, but most of the audio clips are set to sound like vintage EVH. That's not where I'm at, so it's a misleading representation for me. SL Drive, Dirty Little Secret and OCD all sounded harsh or otherwise not what I'm looking for.

Some of the JHS pedals, like the @ and the Angry Charlie look like good contenders, but they're way out of my price range, and they're also extremely rare to find for sale anywhere in Norway, so there's no chance to try them out.

Also heard good things about the Carl Martin PlexiTone, but never tried one.

How about pushing the B.B. preamp with a boost or another od? Feels like you’re more likely to be happy since you’ll retain the character of the B.B. that you like but with more gain [emoji4]

Also, what amp do you have and how do you set it up? You might have another solution there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Re: I like the BB Preamp, but I want more gain

Originally posted by Blille View Post
      How about pushing the B.B. preamp with a boost or another od? Feels like you’re more likely to be happy since you’ll retain the character of the B.B. that you like but with more gain [emoji4]

Also, what amp do you have and how do you set it up? You might have another solution there.
      I mentioned my amp in the initial post, it's the little Laney 5-watt Studio. I don't dig the drive sounds on the amp alone, probably because I run it at low volume due to neighbours. That's why I use the clean channel and add pedals, which gives a sound I'm happy with.

I have tried pushing the BB, used pedals such as the RC Booster, Joyo Vintage Overdrive, and lastly the EP Booster that I've currently got set up. It thickens the sound, but not in a way that gives those more saturated sounds that I'm looking for. Since I mostly use low-output singlecoils, it takes a little more gain to kick those into, well, overdrive.

But yeah, good calls on both of those, for sure.
      Last edited by Yngtchie Blacksteen; 12-02-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yngtchie Blacksteen View Post
        I mentioned my amp in the initial post, it's the little Laney 5-watt Studio. I don't dig the drive sounds on the amp alone, probably because I run it at low volume due to neighbours. That's why I use the clean channel and add pedals, which gives a sound I'm happy with.

I have tried pushing the BB, used pedals such as the RC Booster, Joyo Vintage Distortion, and lastly the EP Booster that I've currently got set up. It thickens the sound, but not in a way that gives those more saturated sounds that I'm looking for. Since I mostly use low-output singlecoils, it takes a little more gain to kick those into, well, overdrive.

But yeah, good calls on both of those, for sure.
        Sorry I missed the amp in the post. I feel you, it’s hard to have great saturated tones at low volumes. It feels like what you want is the classic pushed Marshall tone? My recommendation would be a TS into the B.B. but I think you already tried with the Joyo (I assume you meant overdrive, not OD). I don’t think the angry charly would be that different from the BB. I would try the riot for a less amp like more straight distortion to see if that’s what you like.

Didn’t Malmsteen use the grey DOD 250?

Comment

Noting that you find the OCD harsh, you might want to try the Plimsoul instead?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

It feels like what you want is the classic pushed Marshall tone? My recommendation would be a TS into the B.B. but I think you already tried with the Joyo (I assume you meant overdrive, not OD). I don’t think the angry charly would be that different from the BB. I would try the riot for a less amp like more straight distortion to see if that’s what you like.
            Vintage OD, yes, bit of a brain fart there. Killer pedal, I like it as a clean boost, and it's also a tasty alternative to the BB for a bit of a different feel. I don't keep it on my board, but I use it sometimes for recording.

I found a Mooer Solo for sale, and snagged it. It should arrive sometime next week, so maybe that could be the one for the job? In any case, I like that it's very inexpensive, as I don't like having a pricey pedal just lying around just in case I'll need that sound. Student economy, so it helps sticking with the wee Chinese boxes.

Didn’t Malmsteen use the grey DOD 250?
            Yeah, but of course, he had those cooking Marshalls as a solid foundation. Kinda like with Eric Johnson, who only used the Tube Driver for that final push.

I'm not chasing an Yngwie tone per se, but that smooth sound, especially on the Fire & Ice album, is a great example of the kind of Strat + Marshall sound that I tend to favor. That's why I don't like pedals like the SL Drive, totally different sound, I don't care for that gritty crunch.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
              Noting that you find the OCD harsh, you might want to try the Plimsoul instead?
              I've only tried it in the guitar store, back before I discovered the BB Preamp. I'm interested in giving it a proper go, so I'll be on the lookout for it in the sales section.

Comment

Vintage OD, yes, bit of a brain fart there. Killer pedal, I like it as a clean boost, and it's also a tasty alternative to the BB for a bit of a different feel. I don't keep it on my board, but I use it sometimes for recording.

I found a Mooer Solo for sale, and snagged it. It should arrive sometime next week, so maybe that could be the one for the job? In any case, I like that it's very inexpensive, as I don't like having a pricey pedal just lying around just in case I'll need that sound. Student economy, so it helps sticking with the wee Chinese boxes.

Yeah, but of course, he had those cooking Marshalls as a solid foundation. Kinda like with Eric Johnson, who only used the Tube Driver for that final push.

I'm not chasing an Yngwie tone per se, but that smooth sound, especially on the Fire & Ice album, is a great example of the kind of Strat + Marshall sound that I tend to favor. That's why I don't like pedals like the SL Drive, totally different sound, I don't care for that gritty crunch.
                Yes, i guess what I would assume would be the closest is a pedal acting as a cranked Marshall pushed by something else, maybe a 250. The B.B. should be ok for the cranked Marshall, but if you want even more amp like and cheap maybe try the joyo that simulates a Marshall.

Btw, fire and ice was one of my favorite albums when it came out. I went to the tour shortly after and still have a pick I got from that concert somewhere.

Good luck with the Mooer!

Comment

Lucky! Yngwie was on fire back then. And thanks, I'll post the results after I've tried it, seeing how it works as a second gain stage. If it's close to the Riot, it might be a keeper. Riot would never be my primary lead sound, but it's a super focused sound that I dig.

Comment

Btw, I saw the Dark Matter mentioned in another thread concerning Marshall-like pedals, and that got me thinking: "Dark Matter? Isn't that one of those modern chugga-chugga pedals?" Huh, turns out I've completely dismissed that one because of its looks. Watching some demo vids now, and the thing just wails. Damn, that's one I should give a closer look for sure.

Comment

I've considered stacking it, but I like it as a standalone drive with the gain at around 2:00. Very smooth and versatile like that. Boosting it from there wouldn't up the gain sufficiently, and the result could get muddy.

(I have tried, using the Soul Food)

Comment

I've only tried it in the guitar store, back before I discovered the BB Preamp. I'm interested in giving it a proper go, so I'll be on the lookout for it in the sales section.
                        I definitely think you should try the OCD again - and if it’s too harsh, make sure you drop to the LP (low peak) setting before you say no!

I use the BBMB from the Xotic Custom Shop - the extra mid-range comes in really useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I'm never one for giving up on something without a second chance, so I'll give it a whirl next time I'm visiting the local guitar shoppe. What I remember is that I loved the OCD for crunchy NWOBHM riffs, sounded perfect for heavy riffage. But since I'm mostly a noodler at home, and I don't play much heavy rock, it kinda falls outside my sphere of usefulness. If that makes sense.

Oh, yeah, the BB Preamp I've got is indeed the mid-boost version. I tried it in the guitar store, and they offered me the chance to take a number of pedals home to find the perfect one. So out of the Euphoria, Dirty Little Secret, SL Drive, and the Xotic BBP-MB, my choice was the Xotic. It had a totally different response to my picking, it made things sound softer, smoother, and very dynamic. I like that, makes the whole thing sound like such an extension of the amp itself, very un-pedal-like.

Comment

Well, I'm never one for giving up on something without a second chance, so I'll give it a whirl next time I'm visiting the local guitar shoppe. What I remember is that I loved the OCD for crunchy NWOBHM riffs, sounded perfect for heavy riffage. But since I'm mostly a noodler at home, and I don't play much heavy rock, it kinda falls outside my sphere of usefulness. If that makes sense.

Oh, yeah, the BB Preamp I've got is indeed the mid-boost version. I tried it in the guitar store, and they offered me the chance to take a number of pedals home to find the perfect one. So out of the Euphoria, Dirty Little Secret, SL Drive, and the Xotic BBP-MB, my choice was the Xotic. It had a totally different response to my picking, it made things sound softer, smoother, and very dynamic. I like that, makes the whole thing sound like such an extension of the amp itself, very un-pedal-like.
                            FYI the EHX OD Glove is an OCD on a budget.

Comment

FYI the EHX OD Glove is an OCD on a budget.
                              How does it compare to the Mooer Hustle Drive?

Comment

Working...
                              X