Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensible power supply?

Is there one for my situation?

I've been looking at Cioks dc8, but luckily didn't yet bought it: the two 300ma outputs in it are apparently unisolated and thus can only deliver total of 300ma, if I understand right...

I don't have lot of pedals, but problem is that I need 9v/500ma for one and 24v/100ma for other, rest are happy with 9v/100ma outputs. Total of 1000ma would be fine if outputs are suitable.

But most sensibly sized supplies have very limited output. Even something like t-rex goliath, that's complete overkill for me, has only 450ma per output.

And most supplies don't even seem to have that two 9v/250ma outputs for amperage doubling. Or two 12v outs for total of 24v...

Any suggestions?
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Re: Sensible power supply?

The Truetone power supplies can deliver higher mA than what the outlets are individually rated for but it doesn't have a 24V out, although there are four 9V/12V outlets on the cs12pro that could be used to sum up the voltage.

EDIT: http://truetone.com/cs12/
    They mention it on their product page. Its 1900mA total, so all pedals connected to it should not exceed that draw. You could email them if it would work for your purpose, they usually get back in a day or two.
    Last edited by Hank-; 12-12-2017, 01:51 AM.

Comment

As mentioned by Hank, the Truetone One Spot Pro's can provide more current than what is listed on each output as long as you don't exceed the total rating of the power supply. They also have a voltage doubler accessory which will work to double one of their 12V outputs to 24V and provide 100ma. It's about 20 bucks. Here ... http://truetone.com/voltage-doubler/

I have a Pro CS12. It's been rock solid and is as quiet as the Voodoo labs or any other isolated supplies that I've had.
      Last edited by Darg1911; 12-12-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I would say Strymon or Gig Rig. Strymon has 24v out, although i don't know for sure wether or not you should/can power pedals with it, Gig Rig has pretty much any possible voltage, although it is modular and can get pricey.

Comment

I might try using a small 9V supply plus two wall warts plugged into something like this:

No reason to get a crazy supply if you aren't going to use most of it.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

^ That's what I currently use.

No reason to get a crazy supply if you aren't going to use most of it.
            I agree. I'm searching a isolated supply for my pedals in hope it might reduce noise.

That CS12 looks really good, but maybe a bit too much for my use....

Carl Martin Pro Power V2 would have what I need for 70 euros less. Any thoughts or experience about that?
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Let me clarify....

Get a smaller 9V isolated supply for everything except the two difficult pedals. Use individual wall warts for those (did they come with adapters?)

I'd have no reservations with a supply from Voodoo Lab, Cioks, TruTone, Carl Martin or T-Rex. (A few other high end ones as well) If the Carl Martin is truly isolated, it should be fine for the standard 9V pedals.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Let me clarify....

Get a smaller 9V isolated supply for everything except the two difficult pedals. Use individual wall warts for those (did they come with adapters?)

I'd have no reservations with a supply from Voodoo Lab, Cioks, TruTone, Carl Martin or T-Rex. (A few other high end ones as well) If the Carl Martin is truly isolated, it should be fine for the standard 9V pedals.
                Why would you consider it "fine for 9v pedals"? It has outputs switchable for 12v and enough output to run 500ma pedal with amperage doubling.

Those "difficult" pedals are the ones that make most noise actually. And it seems pointless to get power supply just for the 9v pedals, as I have only two of them

Comment

There is the CS7 model if the CS12 is too big or costly, not sure what the price difference is between the two though.

And on a side note, you have only two 9V pedals??? That's a tragedy

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                    There is the CS7 model if the CS12 is too big or costly, not sure what the price difference is between the two though.

Well, 3 but Holy Grail requires 500ma power, so I didn't count that.

I've had a lot more, but I've sold all I haven't had use for...

Comment

I store all of them like a squirrel, would like to sell a few but always keep them in the end

Anyway, I looked up the prices for the Carl martin & CS7 on thomman, both are €1.0 apart in prices. Between those two the CS would provide more mA on the outlets than rated to power the hungry one you have.

Comment

I store all of them like a squirrel, would like to sell a few but always keep them in the end

Anyway, I looked up the prices for the Carl martin & CS7 on thomman, both are €1.0 apart in prices. Between those two the CS would provide more mA on the outlets than rated to power the hungry one you have.
                        That looks great. Thanks. It even has 500ma out!

I don't know how I missed that when searching, but it's perfect.

Comment

I got the CS7 from Thomann last week. Had to order more wires when I got it, because I didn't realize it doesn't come with voltage doubling one, and only had one 3,5 jack adapter.

Now I have it set up. Seems really solid and works perfectly. 132 € is indeed a ridiculously good deal for it!

Comment

So you voltage doubled 2 12V outputs for the 24V, used a high current output for the 500ma pedal and used two additional 9v outputs for the other two pedals? Perfect solution!
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              So you voltage doubled 2 12V outputs for the 24V, used a high current output for the 500ma pedal and used two additional 9v outputs for the other two pedals? Perfect solution!
                              Exactly. Nice and clean.

Comment

Working...
                              X