banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocktron Replifex as a pedalboard... Will any MIDI controller work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktron Replifex as a pedalboard... Will any MIDI controller work?

I've decided to go back to a simpler rig which consists of a '87 Silver Jubilee 2550 and a Rocktron Replifex in the loop. Outside of a few floor pedals, that's it for my Marshall rig.

Question: The Replifiex effects blocks are designed to operate the same as pedals. The manual reads that a Rocktron All-Access MIDI controller is needed to do this. Does this mean I cannot program my Ground Control controller to operate the same way? Is the "stomp box" option only available with the All-Access controller?
    Last edited by 67Mopar; 12-15-2017, 06:27 PM.

Re: Rocktron Replifex as a pedalboard... Will any MIDI controller work?

I will freely admit never having used a Repliflex, but I am 99% sure that is just "manual speech", where they only recommend you to use their own products. A Ground Control is a very solid and sophisticated piece of hardware, and I cannot for the life of me imagine that it wouldn't be up for the task!

Comment

Thanks! I didn't know if it was/is some sort of proprietary option to get one to buy the All-Access switcher. Here are the first two steps... It singles out the "All Access" controller, and nothing else.

"A Rocktron All Access™ MIDI foot-switch can be configured as a dedicated remote control for the Replifex™ - allowing direct access to specific Replifex™ features and parameters from the foot-switch at any time..."

Comment

Any MIDI controller will allow you to switch patches on the Replifex, but if I understand correctly, you are asking if you can set up any MIDI controller to work in a stompbox kind of mode, right? If so, I'm not sure, at least not without some very specific programming which they apparently have already done on the All Access. I've used a Replifex, great sounding box, but I did use it in a rack and pretty much just recalled patches from my MIDI controller (and I don't remember what I was using, but it wasn't the All Access).

You might try contacting Rocktron(?).

Comment

I'm pretty sure your Ground Control is able to transmit the needed messages to switch individual effects on & off. But there's no listing in my Replifex manual for what they are. There might be information in the All Access manual, here's a link:
          View and Download Rocktron ALL ACCESS user manual online. Professional MIDI footcontroller. ALL ACCESS recording equipment pdf manual download.

If not, and if you have no luck getting the codes from Rocktron for such an old unit, there might be another way. I imagine you could identify them if you can obtain (borrow or maybe rent?) an All Access and have a way to track the MIDI signals coming out of it.

It's also possible (though not especially likely) that VoodooLab might know what's needed; over the years they're bound to have been asked about interfacing with many different multieffects.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Usually the Program Change messages are used to change patches and Continous Controller messages are used for things like changing parameters and "stomp box" mode access. As mentioned above, you need a MIDI Map, and if that's not available it's a very tall task.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I am not even a midi novice....but I suspect it will work. I can't imagine it won't.

PS - Recently went to Mesa Stiletto head and Zoom GNX3 in the loop for the same reasons. 2555 and Replifex will be awesome. I have found that sometimes, while I burn patches, I just program patches for pedal changes rather than try to use stomps. More than enough patches available. Whatever you need to do - I'm sure there is a way.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                I am not even a midi novice....but I suspect it will work. I can't imagine it won't.
                The easiest way for it to not work would be for the effects block switching to be implemented using some sort of proprietary extension to MIDI. The Lexicon MPX-1 and MPX-G2 make extensive use of Sysex for a similar purpose and only are fully functional only when using the MPX-R1 midi controller. They'll still mostly work with something like a Ground Control, but none of the proprietary Sysex functionality will work.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                Usually the Program Change messages are used to change patches and Continous Controller messages are used for things like changing parameters and "stomp box" mode access. As mentioned above, you need a MIDI Map, and if that's not available it's a very tall task.
                +1

CC changes are the most common way to implement that type of switching, but it'd be difficult to tell how to switch anything without a midi map.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions. The Replifex will be here on Wednesday, so I'll see what I can do with it then. Also... Looking at the Replifex manual, it appears that the amp channel switching option is not possible when the All-Access is switched to "Rotary mode"... "Classic mode" only.

Comment

There was a guy on RigTalk that used to do stomp mode on his Replifex with a Behringer controller- if the Behringer can do it, I'm sure your Ground Control can.
                    Don't know if he's still active over there, but he would know the CC codes for the various individual modules. I found a thread where he mentioned it:
                    Me and a friend of mine are setting up a midi switching system for his rig. We have a Digital music corp ground control Pro and we are also using the GCX switcher. Now here is the Problem. My friend has a Lexicon MPX-1 processor that he will be using for his effects and unless you are new the...
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      There was a guy on RigTalk that used to do stomp mode on his Replifex with a Behringer controller- if the Behringer can do it, I'm sure your Ground Control can.
                      Don't know if he's still active over there, but he would know the CC codes for the various individual modules. I found a thread where he mentioned it:
                      http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23117
                      Thanks!

Comment

Re: Rocktron Replifex "stomp-box" mode... Will any MIDI controller work?

The behringer fc1010 with an uno chip in it should do stomp box mode.

Comment

The Rocktron All-Access board is nice, but way too large for my needs. My Ground Control switcher in the original smaller model... 10 switches and multiple banks, of course.

Comment

Hi, i'm new, i'm Francesco from Italy.
                            I want to use replifex like a pedalbord like you, and i've find this thread.
                            I don't know your midi controller and if it's possible to send control change, but i've try to send some midi controls from my mac and .. wow it's simple!

In CONTROLLER ASSIG (page 41 of the manual) , the number you select for each parameter (CTR ..) , is the control change (CC) number that "activate" the function you select for that parameter
                            (you can select the "limit" for the parameter with ULIM e LLIM .. see pag 43 of the manual)
                            You have also to send a value from 0 to 127 after CC number.. in "switch on/off" type parameter, 0 is off and 127 is on -- in parameter like volume is from 0 to 127 ( you can assign a volume expression pedal for example)

Example:
                            You want to switch on/off flanger
                            Replifex config.:
                            CTR A = 7
                            PA-A = flanger I/O
                            In this case ULIM and LLIM (upper limit , lower limit) it's only on / off .. you can decide if you want "normally open" or "normally closed" switching

Pedalboard config.:
                            You have to set your pedalboard to send CC:7 Value:0 (for off)
                            CC:7 Value: 127 (for on)

example for non I/O effects..
                            Replifex config.
                            CTR B = 8
                            PA-B = Volume
                            ULIM/LLIM = 127/0 if you want total control
                            100/0 if you don't want to turn the volume all the way up from expression pedal
                            (probably you can control the "range" of the expression pedal directly from your midi pedalboard)

Pedalboard config.:
                            Assign expression pedal to:
                            CC:8 Value:0 to 127 --> Volume %

There is also the possibility to select the channel for tap tempo (last setting of controller assignement).. i don't have try it, but probably it's something like TAP TEMP CH. = 60 (for example)
                            I've to press at the right tempo the pedal that send CC: 60 Value: 0(or 127 .. i don't have try this feature)

For testing midi function i've use this utility https://github.com/gbevin/SendMIDI (FANTASTIC) and a midi monitor (i have this for mac.. i'm sure there is for windows too) for reading midi activity.

For my purpose i want to build an "hybrid" pedalboard (arduino based) .. Some switch for Program change (for changing presets) , and the other sending CC to control modulation effects I/O , amp switching , tap tempo , mute and bypass .
                            Maybe some knob to control some parameters like volume (i don't like volume pedal) or dry/wet signal from mod fx..

Sorry for my english. Bye
                            Last edited by Frenzi; 01-16-2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

That's very cool- MIDI allows plenty of CCs so it should be no problem to assign each effect its own CC number.
                              Thanks, Francesco!

Comment

Working...
                              X