BOSS SD-1, kind of disappointed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BOSS SD-1, kind of disappointed.

I don't like Tube Screamers. I dislike SD-1's even more.
    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

ive bought the sd1 more times than i can count then sold it. i bought my last one and made a promise to myself that id not sell it. its been a long time and i still have it. it does what it does well and i like it better than the ds1 or bd2 even stock. its not my favorite od by a long shot but when used to goose something it can work really well

Comment

Last one I had I clipped a diode, forget which one, to make it more transparent. It worked...but the pedal still sounded thin to me.
        There are lots of mods you can do that are beyond my capability to increase Bass and other things, but I'd rather just get another pedal that does what I want properly.
        The SD2 I recently got is fantastic and blows the SD1 out of the water IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
          Went ahead and ordered a Monte Allums mod kit this morning.
          You done good. Completely different pedal after that. (More like four completely different pedals because of the combination of more/less gain and asymmetric/symmetric clipping.)

In case you're new to modding pedals, I'd plan plenty of time to do exactly what it says and test the pedal after each component change. Even though in the short term, it'll take a lot longer, in the end, you won't have pulled out nearly as much hair as you may or may not have.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            and i like it better than the ds1 or bd2 even stock.
            Man, I LOVE my stock BD2. Have the Fromel modded one as well, but I have no complaints with the stock one.

Comment

The stock BD2 is killer in front of a dark-ish amp, tightens things up nicely. I used to own one, modified it and sold it. Miss it sometimes.
              I wanted to buy a SD1 a few weeks ago and I just remembered for me, the BD2 is probably better so I'm not buying a SD1, plus I own a TS9 flavored pedal so I'm halfway there already.

I like the fact the BD2 is a bit flatter in the midrange than say a SD1 or a TS9. The bass cut is just right for it's purpose, so I'm happy with it.
              Last edited by Diego; 12-31-2017, 03:57 PM.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                The SD1 sucks as a standalone, for the same reasons a TS9 does. Their thing is to push dirty tubes further.
                I have not owned many distortion pedals but the best tone I ever got from pedals was by stacking a SD-1 into Plimsoul, not as good as my current rig but it was usable.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

many people do like the stock bd2, but not me. harsh high end that i cant dial out without losing too much high end. i usually play vintage output (bright) pups into vintage nmv (bright) amps so the sd1 works well as a lead boost for somethings since its mostly upper mids

Comment

Let the mods begin!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180101_182405.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	5804670

Comment

Wow! Just the first mod on the list made a big difference. More bass and girthier tone.

(Edit: 'Ole Monte seems pretty serious about the secrecy of his mods.)
                      Last edited by Swampy; 01-01-2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
                        Let the mods begin!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85813[/ATTACH]
                        ok simple and excellent mods: Get an extra diode (you can steal the original D1 if you are converting an old one from 12v power supply to the modern 9v) and wire it in series with D4.
                        This will give you symmetric clipping ala tubescreamers but with more headroom available (aceman you might want to try this).
                        Remove c6 is you'd like a much clearer chimier top end.
                        That's it.
                        Change c3 (.047uf) to a higher value like .1uf if you want more bass. Personally ive done everything up to .22uf (.33 was way too loose) but i find the stock .047uf is just fine if using the pedal as a lead boost into a dirty amp. Too much low end in this role is counterproductive.
                        All the rest such as swapping opamps and upgrading caps and resistors etc is really not important (or even noticeable) once you are playing with a band onstage. The stock 4558DD despite what the tubescreamer purists might say is actually a better chip due to it's lower noise floor. Burr browns are nice, but really not worth the effort.
                        Ive done just about every mod under the sun for sd1s and tubescreamers of various types. Ive even built a couple and modded/customized them. The sd1 is a good and proven unit for it's job. Don't try too hard to make it into a different animal.
                        Put in a water clear LED of whatever colour you like if you play outside in the daytime a lot.
                        Last edited by Chickenwings; 01-02-2018, 06:04 AM.
                        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                        X