About to build my first pedal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to build my first pedal.

Picked up this fuzz kit off eBay. Looks pretty simple......we'll see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171226_191213.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	5846460

Re: About to build my first pedal.

Good luck. Don't be frustrated when you have to reheat each solder joint until it starts working. Happens to the worst of us, and I should know.

Comment

Power to point, no board?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Power to point, no board?
        It has board. A very, VERY small piece of Vero board.

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        Good luck. Don't be frustrated when you have to reheat each solder joint until it starts working. Happens to the worst of us, and I should know.
        It happened, and that's not what frustrated me. Its when I got solder spill onto adjacent strips to the ones I was reheating that frustrated me. Now I have a couple globs of solder on the board.I need a solder sucker, if that'll work, or a new piece of board. I never realized a fuzz circuit was so small, and you get the smallest piece of board with this kit. Just enough to fit the 5 components to.

Comment

One knob fuzz. Cool. Unfortunately, Vero board is not the friendliest material for a first build. Some desoldering braid/wick should clean up the solder bridges. You may find it easier to use than a solder sucker. I have a desoldering station along with a few manual solder suckers but I reach for the braid for clean up's. The type with the flux is my favorite.

Comment

I'll give that desoldering braid a try. Thanks!

Comment

Another trick I used when I accidentally bridged two adjoining strips ... Use a fine hacksaw blade to cut the channel back open.

Comment

Originally posted by JollyRoger523 View Post
                Another trick I used when I accidentally bridged two adjoining strips ... Use a fine hacksaw blade to cut the channel back open.
                Funny you say that, I did try a serrated steak knife.

Comment

If you reflow the solder, you can use a small metal tool between the bridged solder pads to break the bridge. But ... it can end up moving that solder somewhere you don't want it to and causes a bridge somewhere else.

Comment

Mammoth Electronics and Arcadia Electronics are two kit suppliers I use when I'm in the DIY mood, their 808 Overdrive I have built and tweaked (new Op-Amp, different value caps and diodes) to get a sound I like....

Comment

Working...
                    X