Boss SD-2 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss SD-2 review

Picked this pedal up on a whim yesterday, after seeing it in the local classifieds and listening to clips online I found it sounded quite impressive!

So far I've run it in place of my OCD in front of my JVMs gain channel (orange mode) as a boost using the pedals OD channel (green mode).

The overdrive mode is very punchy, and the tone dial has significant bite to it, even before the 12:00 position.
    Overall, I definitely like it better than my previous SD-1 & OD-3 pedals in the same application. There is no bass suck when boosting like there is with the SD-1, and the tone is more lively than the OD-3.
    Although I love the feel and response of my OCD, the SD-2 is making it sound weak/tame overall by comparison(!) The SD-2 is just so THICK and juicy sounding in OD mode as a boost. The feel/response isn't quite as smooth or organic as the OCD, but it is still very nice in that regard. The fact the low-end remains and its punchy sound make up for that.

The Lead (red mode) is also very good. Especially for a Boss dirt pedal! So far I've used it on the JVMs clean channel (green mode) It offers a very 80s-early 90s Marshallesque high gain sound. Think SLX or Rat boosted 800/DSL sound. Lots of bite from the tone dial (too much?) I set mine well below 12:00 and it still gives plenty without getting dark or muffled sounding. I can use this mode as an emergency dirt pedal easily...and I'm a tube amp gain snob!

I still have to try stacking it with the JVMs more dirty clean channels (orange & red modes) as well as my OCD, but I expect great/cool things.

I've never really heard of this pedal, or seen one for sale used ever. So I'm definitely glad I saw it and snatched it up!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Re: Boss SD-2 review

I have an SD2, and it has some of the smoothest OD tones I've ever heard.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I was considering buying one of those a while back, but I decided to save up for a JTM 45 instead. But that is truly an amazing work of photography.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        I was considering buying one of those a while back, but I decided to save up for a JTM 45 instead. But that is truly an amazing work of photography.
        Dust and all!

Comment

Kind of funny, I just sold mine. The Lead is much more of a distortion than overdrive, lots of gain available. When I got it I traded and OS-2 for it. I MUCH preferred this to the OS-2. I’m kind of surprised this is out of production but the OS-2 is still in production.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Had a friend wayyy back who ran one of those with a remote foot switch into a Fender of some sort - it was pretty bad@$$ as I recall....
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Yeah, the lead mode is full on distortion, not a secondary overdrive like the pedals name implies. And it's useable distortion, not like those dumb over the top synthetic sounding Mega Distortion/MetalCore pedals.
              IMO, Boss should have called this pedal the Overdrive/Distortion, kept it in production and should have never even made the OS-2.
              This pedal is just flat out SICK. They need to do a reissue of their forgotten classics.
              Last edited by Van Noord; 01-05-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

This is the guy who gave me the idea to run a couple of boxes into a sort of clean amp.

He had the amp set for just a little grit. He could play clean or hit it hard for amok attitude. But then he would could from clean to gritty lead, or go gritty rhythm with the OD, and then if doing OD rhythm, he's slam that lead channel in with the foots with. It made whatever the one channel he used like a four channel amp. really cool...
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                X