NPD (EHX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD (EHX)

I've been on somewhat of an overdrive kick lately. Used some GC gift cards today and picked this up. Been on my radar for a while.

Only got a few minutes with it when I got home, but I'm liking what I hear. I did play one for a bit at the store, but they no longer have a Blues Deluxe Re-issue, so I played it though a Hotrod Deluxe. I'll get a chance tomorrow to really get into it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171231_194506.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	5846519

Re: NPD (EHX)

Let us know if it still sounds good!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I own one, and it has a permanent residence on my main board.....

Comment

Are these very close to the ts9 or more 808ish? or more open than either?

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
          Are these very close to the ts9 or more 808ish? or more open than either?
          I honestly don't think a Klon(e) sounds all that close to a TS, though it's closer to a TS9.

I'm most familiar with my Wampler Tumnus, but the Soul Food is at least in the same zip code. At low gain settings they're pretty close, but the Soul Food gets a bit harsh with higher gain.

Back to the original question...
          The biggest difference from a TS is that the Klon midrange hump isn't fixed; it starts out rather flat and gets more midrange-y as the gain knob is increased. The Klon circuit also has A LOT more volume on tap, so one doesn't need to worry about finding a balance where you have adequate volume without too much saturation. I set the gain and tone to taste (both roughly 9 o'clock) and the volume at roughly 12 o'clock. On a TS (with those settings) you'd barely be able to tell it's on, but that's plenty of boost with a Klon(e).
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            I honestly don't think a Klon(e) sounds all that close to a TS, though it's closer to a TS9.

I'm most familiar with my Wampler Tumnus, but the Soul Food is at least in the same zip code. At low gain settings they're pretty close, but the Soul Food gets a bit harsh with higher gain.

The biggest difference from a TS is that the Klon midrange hump isn't fixed; it starts out rather flat and gets more midrange-y as the gain knob is increased. The Klon circuit also has A LOT more volume on tap, so one doesn't need to worry about finding a balance where you have adequate volume without too much saturation. I set the gain and tone to taste (both roughly 9 o'clock) and the volume at roughly 12 o'clock. On a TS (with those settings) you'd barely be able to tell it's on, but that's plenty of boost with a Klon(e).
            Wise words.

A swap for Germanium helps tame the harshness of the SF at high gain settings (can’t tell in low gain). Really liked the mod in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

So it's a Klon clone kind-of, and not another ts copy?

Comment

I think there are some other circuit differences but it's basically Klon clone-ish with silicon (zeners I think) diodes. Inspired by the Klon is probably the best description.
                Last edited by Darg1911; 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                  I think there are some other circuit differences but it's basically Klon clone-ish with silicon (zeners I think) diodes. Inspired by the Klon is probably the best description.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a klone and played through a Soul Food. Never studied the Soul Food circuit and never tried the diode swap. But Analogman messed with diode swaps and considered a mod kit and gave up because it still wasn't the same. So did Coda Effects. That's what they report anyway. Are they right? Maybe. Or, maybe not. I think JHS offers a mod, or did offer a mod. At any rate, I think the Soul Food is a good pedal at a good price. But if someone is looking for as close to a klone as possible, it's probably not "the" one. Does it make a difference, live and loud? ... probably not. Those are just my opinions.

Nothing matters except for what you think of the pedal.

Comment

The Soul Food was my first "modern" pedal. I had a wah and fuzz before that. You gotta make sure to turn the tone down as the gain goes up. With the gain dimed I usually keep the tone around 9 o'clock or so.

But the nice thing about the SF is it's history. It was built out of spite of the Klone wars, that's why it's so cheap and also why it has an internal true/buffered bypass switch.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I’ve never played a Soul Food, but I too really like what EHX did. Right when all the Klones were going pricey it gave the average player a chance to try the circuit.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

How loud is the volume boost?

I'm asking because I tend to crank the volume in my OD pedals, and add gain only if necessary. I find their response the most dynamic that way.
                          I'd love to own a Soul Food even if it's not really Klon-ish at all.
                          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post

I'm asking because I tend to crank the volume in my OD pedals, and add gain only if necessary. I find their response the most dynamic that way.
                            Well given that the Centuar was originally just a transparent boost with a gain knob thrown in for kicks, the boost is pretty loud. I never use it as a clean boost, but when I want to derive my distortion from my amp, the Soul Food can deliver. Even when I'm using it for a "mostly clean boost" I never feel the need to take the volume past %75.
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post

As I mentioned in my post, I'm more familiar with the Wampler Tumnus... but in terms of volume it's at least twice as loud as a tube screamer, maybe more. I don't think I've ever had the volume beyond about 3 o'clock, and that was waaaaaay too much.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X