NU Tube Tube Screamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NU Tube Tube Screamer

It runs the tube at 30 volts, which is a 'starved plate" design.basically juts a tube inserted into the circuit instead of a silicon diode. Correct me if i'm wrong. This is an excerpt from a discussion about it by "Phil", I'll have to look to remeber what company he represents, but it's a famous company;

"Normally, a 12AX7 tube is run with 100-200V on the tubes plate terminals for clean amplification, lowering the plate voltage to 30V starves the tube of the regular flow of electrons and causes the tube to readily distort. Tube distortion produces pleasant sounding even harmonics, contrast that with the scratchy odd-harmonic distortion (often called crunch) that comes from transistor/diode distortion circuits. Tube distortion tends to make more of a howling electronic sound that is commonly heard in late 1960s / early 1970s rock-n-roll recordings. A good example of the tube distortion sound is Eric Clapton with Cream playing "Sunshine of Your Love". Producing tube distortion in a starved tube circuit instead of an overdriven tube guitar amp has the advantage of making good tone at much lower volume levels."

There are some OD's with tubes in the circuit that run at high plate voltages- Duncan made some in their "classic " series, and HT Blackstra i think, as well Vox, I'm not really sure.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 01-04-2018, 08:28 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
      Order a bunch and get end-column pricing!
      <<<<< I'd put my column in her end!
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
        I'd much rather have that maxon tod9.

Completely agree

Comment

Jerry, it runs at 2% of the power of a regular tube, which is what it's not. So 30V would be like running a regular tube at 600V. Unless my math is off.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s not a Vacuum Tube, it’s a Korg NuTube.

Nutube, similar to a conventional vacuum tube, has an anode grid filament structure, and operates exactly as a triode vacuum tube. Also similar to a vacuum tube, it creates the same characteristic rich overtones. By applying their vacuum fluorescent display technology, Noritake Itron Corp., a Noritake Co. Ltd affiliated company, have devised a structure which achieves substantial power saving, miniaturization, and quality improvements when compared with a conventional vacuum tube.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Jerry, it runs at 2% of the power of a regular tube, which is what it's not. So 30V would be like running a regular tube at 600V. Unless my math is off.

Beat me to the punch.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Great minds...

Comment

Working...
                X