NPD: A Pleasant Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD: A Pleasant Surprise

So I bought this bad boy at Guitar Center for $30 a few months ago. And then returned it the next day. Just recently I went back into the ol' GC and saw it still on the shelf. I decided that when I first played it my expectations were in the wrong place. This time it was only $25!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180103_172154.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	5846529

Let me run you through the bells and whistles. It has two main controls, an on/off switch and a knob labeled "SPEED". The footswitch does exactly what you think it does, but it isn't 100% reliable. Everyone now and then it gets stuck before at gets a chance to latch.The speed knob is rather interesting. It does absolutely nothing at all.

It comes with all the modern appointments as well, a LED that isn't bright enough to be usable in anywhere that you would want to play a guitar and a 9v jack that doesn't actually manage to provide any juice to the pedal.

But when you really wanna put the audience in their place, you can rely on this stomp box to provide access to one of the crowning tones of an era long gone by. When activated, it sounds more like a Gameboy Color than a phaser. It's got the most dry, unmusical tones over created and the transparency of the iron curtain.

This simple pedal is like nothing I've ever heard. The pedals in front of it nor the guitar volume have any effect on the tone whatsoever. A neck humbucker and a bridge single coil sound identical. Everything you plug into just turns into an electrical mess that could stand out in any mix, like a Dodge Hellcat at a Prius owners meeting.

In short, it's an amazing pedal that I plan to keep for years to come. There is truly nothing like it.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: NPD: A Pleasant Surprise

Congrats! It sounds like you found some alien technology disguised in beaten up pedal form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Maybe you were lucky to grab the secret first prototype of an MXR antiquity series. I dig the aged finish

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingFingertips View Post
          Maybe you were lucky to grab the secret first prototype of an MXR antiquity series. I dig the aged finish
          That's why I bought it the first time actually, the finish. I already have a Phase 90 from this era but it looks flawless. This one has clearly seen some bumps and scrapes. The wear around the jacks continues onto the side of the pedal, so you can tell the previous owner was either an alcoholic or had poor aim with his cables. And from the internal situation, he clearly took the phrase "stomp box" to heart.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I dig phasers a lot. I was always partial to the EH sound, though. These days I am using an MXR model in the Fractal.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Very cool! Never owned one myself.
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Working...
              X