Best MT-2 Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best MT-2 Mods?

So I'm trying to get into pedal modding and found a cheap Metal Zone that I wanted to mod. From what I can see on YouTube, I like the Diezel mod the best. But does anyone here have some mods that aren't common enough to have a name that they like better?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Best MT-2 Mods?

I had mine modded by Keeley, but I don't know if they make the schematics available to the public.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

found this was a really good source to start with

you can drop in the keeley mod cap values afterwords if it still seems lacking to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        I had mine modded by Keeley, but I don't know if they make the schematics available to the public.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
        I have the Analogman version.I run the king of tone into the MT2. Sounds good

Comment

Best mod I have found is buy an EHX Metal Muff w/ Top Boost
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            I'm not doing the mod for any tonal reasons, I'm just trying to use a Metal Zone as a way to introduce myself to the world of pedal modding. Nice tone is just a side effect.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I would just start by having a good fundamental understanding of what everything does electrically. It will really serve you better than taking a paint by numbers approach, and you will be able to really open the doors to do anything you want. I would also start with a pedal that’s a little more basic than a metal zone like an od1/ts9 or an mxr dist + which is as basic as it gets. A metal zone has a lot more (various stages) of EQ shaping that make up its sound, and probably one of the more complicated analog distortion pedals out there.
              Last edited by Joey Voltage; 01-06-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Voltage View Post
                I would just start by having a good fundamental understanding of what everything does electrically. It will really serve you better than taking a paint by numbers approach, and you will be able to really open the doors to do anything you want. I would also start with a pedal that’s a little more basic than a metal zone like an od1/ts9 or an mxr dist + which is as basic as it gets. A metal zone has a lot more (various stages) of EQ shaping that make up its sound, and probably one of the more complicated analog distortion pedals out there.
                I got my masters in electrical engineering, so I can understand what's going on electrically, it's just getting myself used to soldering in such close quarters to other sensitive electronics and understanding how the electrical values shape the tone. After I'm done with this I'm going to open up my old Fuzz Face and try to change up some electrical values.

Sooner or later I want to get into more complicated stuff, like those distortion pedals that include tubes. And after that I'll work my way into amplifiers. But for now, I just want to not be a risk to the pedal I'm working on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  I got my masters in electrical engineering, so I can understand what's going on electrically, it's just getting myself used to soldering in such close quarters to other sensitive electronics and understanding how the electrical values shape the tone. After I'm done with this I'm going to open up my old Fuzz Face and try to change up some electrical values.

Sooner or later I want to get into more complicated stuff, like those distortion pedals that include tubes. And after that I'll work my way into amplifiers. But for now, I just want to not be a risk to the pedal I'm working on.
                  In the mt2, the tone is heavily shaped by simulated inductors (gyrators) with in the feedback loops of a lot of the opamp stages. In fact distortion generation is largely only a very small part of the circuit. You would modify the sound by adjusting the q and resonance frequency the gyrators operate at. A single capacitor with in the gyrators feedback loop is usually enough to do this. There is one after the initial input buffer in this pedal that will pretty much influence everything that gets sent through, it pretty much acts like a wah stuck in one position. I would perhaps start there, and then work your way towards the ones that shape the distortion signal. The clipping section has the least influence on this pedals character. The fuzz face might actually be the easier place to start.

One tip I’ll give is that If you are trying to adjust low frequency response via any of the coupling capacitors around the inputs and outputs of the opamp s stages, it’s best to do it at the input, and keep the outputs coupled at as low of a frequency as possible. It will ensure a better noise performance and consistent output z for all frequencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    I found an even better mod; selling both the Metal Zone and the MM + TB and buying a Marshall Jackhammer.
                    Nobody needs more gain than that thing has, and it sounds excellent.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I thought the Monte Allums mod kit—sustainiac or whatever—was a huge improvement. It’s going to be a bit more expensive than finding mods online though.

Comment

Hammer?
                        Guitars:
                        Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
                        PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
                        ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
                        Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
                        Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
                        Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
                        Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
                        Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
                        Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

Working...
                        X