banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what kind of potentiometer I'd need to repair my Boss DD-6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what kind of potentiometer I'd need to repair my Boss DD-6?

I've got a Boss DD-6 Delay that i like but the mode selector knob has gone wonky on me. Sometimes when changing mode settings the sound does not actually change until i mess with the delay time/feedback knobs, and sometimes I think it changes back on its own. Also, to use the 80ms delay mode I have to turn the knob down one notch below where the 80ms setting is labeled. From searching online this seems to be a recurring problem with some DD-6/DD-7 pedals and the recommended solution is generally to just replace the potentiometer.

I'm having trouble finding a replacement though. As far as I can tell I need a b50k right angle PC mount potentiometer with the correct number of detents, which on a DD-6 is 7 detents. I've looked at a few electronics supply websites and I haven't been able to find such a thing though. Does anyone know if they are available anywhere? And if not, what are my options? Just use a b50k pot with no detents and be very careful not to bump the knob out of position? I'm not really sure what else I can do at this point.

Thanks.
    Last edited by malix; 01-06-2018, 07:25 AM.

Re: Does anyone know what kind of potentiometer I'd need to repair my Boss DD-6?

I would contact a Roland rep for options

Comment

Re: Does anyone know what kind of potentiometer I'd need to repair my Boss DD-6?

Pretty sure they're going to want me to send it in though, and that's probably expensive, no? This pedal is way past the end of the warranty.

If i can just replace the pot for $2 I'd much rather do it myself.

Comment

I've seen pots with detents but finding a pcb mount, 7 detent, 50K ... may not be likely. It could have been a proprietary pot made to Boss's specs for that pedal.

Comment

Shoot them an email, couldn’t hurt. I bet they will sell you the part on its own, just tell them you are a tech. I doubt they will even ask.

Comment

Mouser have various multiple detent pots but no 7 detent.
            - https://au.mouser.com/Passive-Compon...ers/_/N-9q0yp/ -
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

-malix

Roland won't make their quarterly numbers $$$/еее repairing out-of-warranty pedals. They make their money off selling new gear, which requires happy enthusastic customers to drive those sales. So they are not going to encourage you to send it in, unless there's something in the design that makes it likely you will destroy it trying to DIY it. If it's discontinued they probably won't refurb it - they'll tell you to find a qualified local tech. But they will try to keep the customer happy.

In fact, rather than continue direct support of obsolete disontinued pedals, I'm sure if they had old stock of the pot laying around, they would just send it to you, or your tech, and write it off just to get it out of their inventory. The only other reason they would have that pot laying around is if it's still in use on any current production pedal - in which case they might charge their cost for the switch, since they have to buy that switch to replace it and it's cutting into current production if you take it.

Also, I think it's more likely that pot was custom ordered for their product assembly and not some off-the-shelf $2 pot. If anyone could build a complete DD-6 with off-the-shelf parts, BOSS would have a harder time holding on to their part of the market. When you design audio equipment, you design every part of it and spec tolerances, etc. You might prototype with off-the-shelf parts, but once you've identified all the problems and sorted them out, then you spec all the parts for production.

All this is why I said I would contact a Roland rep.

The other option is to buy another non-functioning DD-6 for parts and pull the switch from there.

Comment

Contacting Roland would be the best place to start, a replacement will probably cost more from them than sourcing it yourself, but will save you enough time to make it worth it.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure it is a rotary switch, not a potentiometer, but I could be wrong without having one to look at.

It seems to be labeled as SW1 here :

Last edited by devastone; 01-07-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  Contacting Roland would be the best place to start, a replacement will probably cost more from them than sourcing it yourself, but will save you enough time to make it worth it.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure it is a rotary switch, not a potentiometer, but I could be wrong without having one to look at.

It seems to be labeled as SW1 here :

It is most likely a rotary encoder [ pot ].
                  sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                  - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

I'm surprised no one mentioned a can of DeOxit.
                    Most old pots are just dirty and come back to life with a squirt of contact cleaner.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Does the part not have a part number or value on it somewhere? (You would need to take it out to see this).

Also, although I would certainly try replacing it, the problem could lie beyond the switch as well.
                      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                      X