New/old ZW44 OD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New/old ZW44 OD

I was reading some interesting discussions on this pedal recently and it prompted me to place a WTB in the local gear classifieds for one. Had an offer in no time and picked it up earlier today.

4-5 years ago I had a GT-OD, so I'm familiar with the internal switch but couldn't really recall what the ZW setting sounded like. Also, I wasn't boosting a Marshall with it back then, like I'm doing with this one now. All I remember is that I didn't like the GT setting (cold feel, raw mids and fizzy, buzzy treble & gain), and I HATED the stiff footswitch that particular pedal had. Drove me nuts lol! Traded it for a Hardwire OD I believe.

My initial impressions are that this pedal rocks! I know it's based off an SD-1, and I can hear it. But this pedal has a certain grind and sting when boosting a mid gain Marshall channel that's not often heard in other ODs. The highs are present, but smooth, and there is no bass cut like I found there was with the SD-1. The pedal adds a fair bit of compression, but without sacrificing dynamics. It really makes a Marshall spew hot lava. A really juicy, articulate high gain with serious punch.

Only complaint is the bloody side mount power plug insert! Wish they would stop doing that with pedals and just put them on the top. Ah well, still another great high gain boost to add to the collection.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Re: New/old ZW44 OD

Those pedals are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Did you buy all my pedals? I just sold this one too. Pretty much only because I’ve ended up with so many overdrives lately. An interesting thing is that as similar as this is to other ODs, it really does excell at boosting a Marshall style amp as opposed a Fender style amp.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I swear by this OD too. Had a tubescreamer and ended up selling the tubescreamer. i found it can also make for a rly nice sounding low/highpass filter effect if you run it in your effects loop.

Comment

Yep, great pedals! I have two of 'em, modded them for 18v as well by replacing C9 with a 25 volt cap of the same uf value, can't remember what it is. It takes the Wylde to another level, makes it more aggressive.
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
          X