Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of output and high end with H2O chorus engaged

Hi guys,

I'm noticing that when I use the Chorus side of my H2O V3 with my Traynor YCS-50 head that I lose some output and noticeable high end.

I've encountered this before when there have been other pedals with lesser quality buffers and moving or removing the pedal helped. But currently, all other pedals in the rig are True Bypass or are other TrueTone/Visual Sound products (and therefore have the same buffer as the H2O).

I've ruled out the possibility of there being a buffer in the Joyo PXL Pro switcher as I've been using it for almost a year and without issues.

The most recent major change in my rig is the amp. The H2O is being routed through the TCS-50's Series Effects loop. Can anyone with experience with this amp confirm if that's the issue? I'm planning to just send the effects straight to the front of the amp to see if that changes anything. Once I get the cables and switches needed to use the Parallel loop, I plan to try the chorus there too and see if it helps as I've read that parallel loops are the better option for modulation effects. (Or, I guess for testing purposes I can use my channel switching cables attached to the Joyo switcher).

A workaround I just though Of is that I can put an EQ pedal in the loop the chorus is connected to on the switcher and adjust the high end until there is no distinguishable change in the basic tone when the chorus is used. Hopefully I don't need to resort to this, but there doesn't seem to be any other explanation besides the amp's series loop.

Re: Loss of output and high end with H2O chorus engaged

There are internal switches for each side of the H2O to toggle buffered & truebypass modes. I wonder if the chorus side switch is set to TB. The other reason could be that fx return is expecting a line level signal & the chorus is sending a instrument level signal.

Parallel loops are good for time based effects with kill dry engaged or to blend it the effected signal with the main signal or just to have a non AD/DA signal. It's not that good a option for certain modulation stuff.

Comment

Yeah, I might try the buffer switches. There's 40 feet of cable between the preamp out and power amp in. I'm ado going to plug direct to the front of the amp and see if the problem gives away. If it is a line level thing, I wonder if I can add something on the return side of the loop to bump the signal level up?

Comment

The Boss LS2 can help with the line level & buffer problem but check the internal switches first on the H2O.

Comment

Turns out it's something with the series Effects Loop. When I rearrange the cables on my loop switcher so all pedals are routed to the front of the amp, the problem goes away.

I'm guessing even though it's supposed to work with pedals it's either actually line level or the signal is just too hot for the chorus side of the H2O and overloading it's input. The delay side if the pedal works fine. I'm going to try the parallel loop and see if it dares better.

Looking for a solution now to reduce the signal coming from the preamp out and then bumping it back up at the power amp in just in case there is no difference in the parallel loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
            The Boss LS2 can help with the line level & buffer problem but check the internal switches first on the H2O.
            I'm planning to try the internal switches anyway, but I'm not convinced they'll help at this point. Seems that the effects loop might be the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X