Best cable tester for the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cable tester for the money?

My old Planet Waves one broke and I need one. Figured the pedalboard room was a good place to start this one.

Recommendations?

Re: Best cable tester for the money?

Had my Behringer for 15 years with no complaints.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Multimeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
        Multimeter.
        I was going to ask what's cable tester and why you'd need such a thing...
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
          I was going to ask what's cable tester and why you'd need such a thing...
          Because one of these:

Is easier and slightly less complicated than this:

...especially on a dark stage where you have 5-10 minutes to get your rig up and running. That's not a great place to work with probes.

Comment

First thing to do is avoid cheap molded plug cables, the cables that come with such plugs are often the ones to develop issues. The most problem spot that develops on a cable is when the sheild/ground forms breaks in random places. I've been using the planet waves american stage series cable for 5 yrs now, bought six of them & still using the same two. These have a braided pattern on the sheild & the hot consists of twisted pair. There are other brands making such cables these days. Prior to that I had their Classic Series, it barely lasted a year of abuse.

As for a cable tester, a multimeter with continuity check mode gives off a beep when continuity is establed between the two leads, its simpler to use overall & compact ones are easier to carry around in a gig bag. Helps to check the guitar wiring is good as well before the gig starts. The one shown in a pic above is well featured but more simpler ones exist out there, like this one
            Last edited by Hank-; 01-14-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
              First thing to do is avoid cheap molded plug cables, the cables that come with such plugs are often the ones to develop issues. The most problem spot that develops on a cable is when the sheild/ground forms breaks in random places. I've been using the planet waves american stage series cable for 5 yrs now, bought six of them & still using the same two. These have a braided pattern on the sheild & the hot consists of twisted pair. There are other brands making such cables these days. Prior to that I had their Classic Series, it barely lasted a year of abuse.

As for a cable tester, a multimeter with continuity check mode gives off a beep when continuity is establed between the two leads, its simpler to use overall & compact ones are easier to carry around in a gig bag. Helps to check the guitar wiring is good as well before the gig starts. The one shown in a pic above is well featured but more simpler ones exist out there, like this one
              Interestingly enough it was a Planet Waves cable that failed on me.

I usually run a check on all my gear the night before or day of a gig. Sometimes, things just fail on you. Like my expensive overdrive pedal going out on me in the middle of a gig about a month ago... that was fun. Thank goodness for true bypass!

Comment

Working...
              X