banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocktron Xpression is out of this world! Short review...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktron Xpression is out of this world! Short review...

I recently sold my Rocktron Replifex in favor of a Rocktron Xpression. The Xpression has all of the same effects as the Replifiex, plus global settings for input balancing and A/D/A converter bypass. It also features additional reverb and delay adjustments not found in the Replifex. The Replifex was known to have issues with noise and bleed-over in some of the settings. Harmonizer and Octave effects were the worst for this, even with the noise gate maxed-out. No issues at all with the Xpression. As a matter of fact, I rarely find that I need to engage the noise gate.

I've owned TC Electronic G Major, G Major II, G System. All of these boxes introduced white noise and/or tone-suck, regardless of how I set them up. I wish TC would offer the G System as a MIDI controller only board, as I love those large LED illuminated buttons. Not only does the Xpression not degrade the core tone, its 100% digital path is more "pure" sounding than any of the TC G series boxes I've owned. I actually prefer its modulation and delay effects over my PCM-81.

Its rotary speaker effect is simply the finest simulation I've ever experienced. Even in mono mode, it is superior to anything out there. Echoplex simulations are superb! Multi-head simulation + EQ for effects side only let you tweak the repeats to absolute perfection. Since you can run a dry signal in parallel with the effected signal, simulating modulated trails is not only easy, you are not limited to typical detuned trailing. You can use any modulation flavoring you like. I'm not saying it's the best effects device out there, but it's darn close! Like the Replifex, the Xpression effects can be setup to use as stomp boxes.

The Rocktron Xpression may not be the best effects device ever, but it certainly is the most underrated.
    Last edited by 67Mopar; 01-17-2018, 06:50 AM.
Working...
X