No announcement yet.

Getting my 1st Wah Pedal: Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my 1st Wah Pedal: Suggestions?

I’m wanting a wah pedal for noodling at the house. What do y’all recommend? I see Vox and Dunlop have sub $100 pedals. I’m a classic rock fan so I’m looking for those Cream/Zeppelin sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Getting my 1st Wah Pedal: Suggestions?

For your first wah, I’d stick to a Vox or Crybaby (I prefer the latter, but others differ). Get to know how it feels and sounds, and then go further on the quest for YOUR wah (almost as epic as the quest for YOUR fuzz).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Should I get a mini or regular size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with Vince with a few caveats.

If you buy a Vox or Crybaby (I prefer the Crybaby) buy used, there are a million out there!

The one thing that really bothers my about those two is the lack of True Bypass. (It might only be my rig, but the “tone suck” was real) The Classic and Mini are both True Bypass, so those my be a good upgrade and are available used now too.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Just saw a basic Crybaby in a Pawn shop for 40 bones. Hard to argue if classic rock, just noodling, etc. No need for more.

IF I had my 'Wah" life to live over, however, I would seriously suggest a 535Q. All/most of the way you'd ever need. Also, used Weeping Demon, for the same reasons. To be able to adjust the range and Q really lets you make it sound how you want. Perfect for any occasion.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Try a EHX Wailer Wah. Bought it new for my backup board, and it's really good.
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Your best bet is to get a used adjustable wah, so you can dial in what you want, like a Dunlop 535Q or MC404. A non-adjustable wah may, or may not, have tones you like. If you get a basic Vox or Crybaby it should be modded for true bypass, which is not hard to do (Vox are easier for that).
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

+1 to Ace & blueman for a used 535Q. It may not be the best sounding wah on the market, but it's really flexible and can be found pretty cheap on the used market. I've heard good things about the MC404, but it's more recent and used prices are still relatively high. I'm thinking of tracking one down for the switchable inductors and because it doesn't sound all that similar to my Wilson Signature.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

You always have to remember - there are deep Wah conneseurs out there.

As with overdrives, you are not going to go from TS9/SD1 to Klone Klone Of-the-gods in one purchase. You need to start somewhere. 535Q would be a great place to start. Might never need to move on, or may eventually pursue the ultimate Wah. I'm seeing them from 55 to 100 on eBay. Probably cheaper if not shipped (things are heavy...)

Comment

I have a Dunlop Hendrix wah and a Mini Crybaby. The Hendrix is a great wah, but I adore the mini. Small footprint, with a 3-way internal switch to alter the voicing, it's fabulous.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I've had many wah's. (Still do.) Hardly ever used them 'til I got my AMT Japanese Girl wah. Now I use it constantly. If you can get past the silly name, it's a killer wah.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                        I have a Dunlop Hendrix wah and a Mini Crybaby. The Hendrix is a great wah, but I adore the mini. Small footprint, with a 3-way internal switch to alter the voicing, it's fabulous.

Unfortunately the Hendrix wahs aren't true bypass.
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                          +1 to Ace & blueman for a used 535Q. It may not be the best sounding wah on the market, but it's really flexible and can be found pretty cheap on the used market. I've heard good things about the MC404, but it's more recent and used prices are still relatively high. I'm thinking of tracking one down for the switchable inductors and because it doesn't sound all that similar to my Wilson Signature.

The double fasels in MC404's let you have a brighter/thinner wah for rhythm (yellow) and a warmer, fuller wah for solos (red). I think 535Q's sound pretty good, especially with all the adjustments you can do. I've played other wahs in that price range, that are single sound wahs, that don't sound as good. Being able to alter your wah sound can be a very big benefit.

Comment

For cream and zeppelin either a regular crybaby or the good ol’ vox wah
                            But I’d personally get a 535Q/Dimebag wah simply because of all the controls and tweakbility
                            Guitars:
                            Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
                            PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
                            ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
                            Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
                            Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
                            Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
                            Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
                            Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
                            Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Comment

You may just dial in a way sound and never change it. I would. Then again....you might not. Sure beats buying way after way chasing "that" sound, when a tweak here or there could be that sound!

Comment

Working...
                              X