If you could go back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could go back...

If you could go back to when you bought your first guitar pedal, would you buy the same pedal or something different? What pedal would you recommend as a first pedal and why?
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
    Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
    Boss GT-10
    Rocktron Velocity 300
    Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
    Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
    AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Re: If you could go back...

Dunlop Crybaby was my first, and it was the only pedal I owned for a very long time. I would definitely recommend it to the past me.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by big kurka View Post
      If you could go back to when you bought your first guitar pedal, would you buy the same pedal or something different? What pedal would you recommend as a first pedal and why?
      I didn't buy a single pedal. I bought a pile of pedals including power supply and started to learn what I could do with them. I eventually sold all of them and got well on my own. Would definitely do it again.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

My first "pedal" was a EHX LPB-1 back in the 70's. The type that had a fixed 1/4" plug that plugged directly into the amps input. It was well used and the case was beat to hell when I bought it. I know I paid next to nothing for it. Hell yes I'd buy it again. I don't remember what it sounded like exactly, but I remember having a blast with that thing.

Like this one ... but beat to hell

Last edited by Darg1911; 01-23-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

The first pedal I bought was a Zoom 505. I wish I would have saved my money and bought a Blues Jr. to replace my Peavy Rage 8” combo. After that, I would have kept the Vox wah, but bought a BD-2 and SD-2 instead of OS-2 and MT-2.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

MXR Distortion + back in 1982, sounded like a cheese-grater thru a small, solid-state Ampeg amp, but I thought it was the coolest thing on the planet, until the battery went dead...

Comment

My first pedal was a Sekova copy of an EHX Mole bass booster. The next was a Guild Foxy Lady (rebranded 3 knob Big Muff Pi) and then a Maestro Bass Brassmaster. This was in the early 70's. Those last two would be valuable now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                Dunlop Crybaby was my first, and it was the only pedal I owned for a very long time. I would definitely recommend it to the past me.
                Same here....in fact I still have it! It really needs to be rebuilt at this point but it served me well for 20+ years.

Comment

I was totally clueless when I started. First pedal was a DigiTech hot rod distortion.

Silly piece of gear given my tastes today. They had a morph knob to change continuously between digital emulation of DOD 250, boss ds-1, and a fuzz face.
                  Didn't really sound that much like any of those.
                  The thing ate batteries like crazy.
                  Kind of a cool idea but it really only sounded good on you ds-1 setting, Morpher knob straight up 12:00.
                  In which case, a ds-1 is half the price, has a sturdier switch (my DigiTech died when the cheap switch crapped out), and doesn't kill batteries at a rate of one every two jam session!

Fwiw DigiTech made an overdive pedal that morphed between tube screamer and sd-1 sounds. The morph knob on it was more subtle and useable, but it still destroyed 9v batteries

Comment

My first pedal was a Roktek (sp?) chorus. I still have it down in the studio, though haven’t used it EVER. The first pedal that I used a lot was my early 90s Yamaha flanger (FL-10M) - it’s on my live board right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My first pedal was an EHX Small Clone. If I could go back I'd tell myself not to sell it because I've played a bunch of Small Clones since and none of them sounded as good. My 2nd pedal was a very early LED MXR Distortion+ from '81 or '82. Sold that too, but missed it and bought another pre-LED version a couple years ago after finding it for $29.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I would. My amp needed decent distortion.

Now - my second pedal....I'd have got a delay instead of a chorus.

Still have both today, by the way....
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Lot of interesting and funny stories so far. My first pedal was a DOD Death Metal distortion pedal that i bought back around 98. I had just started playing guitar and wanted to try and make my 15 watt crate amp with a 10" speaker sound better. Little did I know back then. I still have it and the only amp it ever sounded good with to me is my jc-120. If I could go back I think I would get some type of doubling effect pedal.
                          There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
                          Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
                          Boss GT-10
                          Rocktron Velocity 300
                          Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
                          Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
                          AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

Comment

My first one was a Next Distortion X. It sounded bad. But I loved it. Over the years I took it out to see if I could stand how it sounded with my older ears. Nope. Not for a minute.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cd88aecd.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	5804970
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My first was a BOSS Blues Driver. Decent pedal. I think I might actually have gotten it again, which really surprises me, given that I am pretty much past the pedal format. There still isn't much in the way of good overdrives in rack units.

Comment

Working...
                              X