X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnthomas
    replied
    Re: If you could go back...

Got these two at the same time around 1976...already had a Maestro Fuzz somebody gave me fir free...(it was horrible into an Ampeg V2 head with a V4 bottom)
    I loved the dyna comp, disappointed in the phase 90; was expecting univibe ambience and didn't know any better at age 24

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    I would. My amp needed decent distortion.

Now - my second pedal....I'd have got a delay instead of a chorus.

Still have both today, by the way....
    With a couple of word flips, this entire post would have rhymed!

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied

My first I believe was a Rocktek Metal Worker. Looking back, def woulda skipped it.
    should have gotten a Tube Screamer or DS1 instead..

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

how was the fuzz?

Leave a comment:

• Rich_S
    replied

The world of pedals was very small when I started. My first was one of these, because it was cheaper than the other fuzz pedals in the Lafayette Radio catalog (the Big Muff Pi and the Univox Super Fuzz).

With ad copy such as this, how could I go wrong?

The attached six-foot cable was completely impractical, so it became my first-ever pedal-modding project, replacing the cable with a normal input jack. A few years later, I replaced it with an original script-logo MXR Distortion+. The LRE eventually got gutted and repurposed as the housing for a damper pedal or something by a keyboard-player friend.

Had I known someday there would be a "vintage effects" market, I probably would have kept the LRE and the D+.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

first pedal was a arion distortion sdi-1. it wasnt terrible and let me run two amps at once!

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied

My first pedal was a Thomas Fuzz/Wah I loved the thing until it died. I would love to get one as a nostalgia buy but they go for ~$300 on the used market. After the Thomas died I got a ROSS distortion.

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    replied

My first pedal was a Dan-Echo. At the time I liked it more than a Boss DD3, but if I could go back I'd get something with a modulated delay or tape Space Echo simulation so I wouldn't be overusing chorus all the time like I did.

Leave a comment:

• 80's_Metal
    replied

Ya, I guess... It was pretty cool. I fried my first amp speaker using this thing... Forced me to work harder and buy my first Peavey amp.

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus1140
    replied

My first pedal was a Digitech Digiverb. My amp had channel switching for gain but no reverb, so I thought it would be the most useful thing I could buy, and it was inexpensive. If I had known then what I think I know now I would have recommended against it. First, it makes the definitive case for "you get what you pay for". But more importantly, a decent delay (echo) pedal can create space as well as most reverbs and it can do so much more.

I've gone through 4 or 5 reverb pedals since then and now have a Neunaber Wet Reverb which is simple and high quality, but I still don't use it. I prefer delays and ultimately won't give board space to a reverb pedal.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

My first pedal was an Ibanez MS10 Metal Charger. It was for adding a little range to my Crate G10XL. It was an odd pedal with an EQ that I’ve never really understood. I got it for my birthday in about 1992, and it cost $80. I later sold it when I was in college, then I bought another last year, for general nostalgia purposes.

My suggestion is to go after the pedal the absence of which you feel most poignantly. For me at sixteen, that would still be a gainy distortion with piercing EQ.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

My first was a Thomas Organ Cry Baby. Still have what's left of it. Might use the pedal shell for something else someday. Would never buy it again. If I could go back, I'd tell myself to save up and get a rack mount delay. Any other pedals worth owning to me didn't exist back then.

Leave a comment:

• dave74
    replied

Can't believe I'm the first on this thread to have such a stock answer; Boss sd1

Hated it, was 100% not what I was looking for but I let my little wimpy 13yr old brain be told it was the one I wanted. lol

The hm2 was the first pedal I really picked for myself based off sound, and it served me well until the mt2 came out, which I still feel is a much better pedal.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

DOD Flanger. I wish I still had it.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
    Dunlop Crybaby was my first, and it was the only pedal I owned for a very long time. I would definitely recommend it to the past me.
    Pedals I bought included Dunlop Crybaby GCB95. I tried it about twice and thought it sounded horrid. I don't know if it was in full working condition though...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X