This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for mustang amp owners with a knowledge of OD pedals

Mustang amp has very distinctive "lofi" type of OD sound in cranked and dry 59' Bassman model. I can't say how close it is to actual Bassman as I've never heard it cranked.

I sometimes play that through distorted tube amp, using Mustang as preamp. Tone it produces can be described as ugly and bassy growl; sort of "muffled and dull roar".

I'd really like to employ that tone, but it's very cumbersome in that way. Does anyone has an idea of OD pedals that might produce similar tone? Boss Bassman would be first that comes to mind, but I'd like it to be analog and true bypass if possible.

Thanks in advance!
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Re: Question for mustang amp owners with a knowledge of OD pedals

I own a Mustang III...as well as many tube amps from Fender, Vox, Gibson and my brother’s company Mission Amps.

I deleted/overwrote all of the presets on my Mustang except for the last 20 or so which are the amp models. I saved those and left them unaltered so I could create my own presets and then store them in preset locations 1 - 80.

I get the best overdrive tones using either the Green overdrive (Tubescreamer) in the Mustang III effects, or the Fender overdrive in the Mustang effects.

I use it to overdrive the Fender Tweed Deluxe Model. I don’t like the Tweed Bassman model, but I didn’t like the real Tweed Bassman Amps I’ve owned either.

You can also select a Marshall 4 12 cab emulation to run any of the amp models through on the Mustang.

You might have to dig a little deeper into the Mustang and adjust “sag” and other perimeters.

It’s time consuming but worth it.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-01-2018, 11:32 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Thank you for the reply. Though not exactly helpful...

I realize the threap topic is probably written in rather dumb way. Is there a way to edit it?

I'm looking for OD pedal, that sounds like Mustang 59' Bassman model. Not interested about Mustang itself
      Last edited by Jacew; 02-02-2018, 07:30 AM.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

part of the reason your amp sounds so big and loose when using the mustang as a preamp is because all the amp models have speaker sims built in. The actual speaker on a mustang is designed for flat frequency response so all the models sound more or less like a real amp and cab miced up then run through a PA.
        If you want a big open and natural sounding overdrive pedal with enough low end for things to get your amp loose, have a look at a nobels odr-1. A lot of pros use it in front of black or silver faced fenders to give them the sound of a much fatter, meaner, dirtier amp. You can use it to get similar to the fat clean tones of a bassman by setting the gain low or even off, or judicious use of the gain and spectrum knobs will allow you to get as gnarly as you want. It can be subtle, or it can be really dirty depending on how you use it. A really excellent pedal for many uses. There are some boutiqe true bypass clones out there (jrockett does one) but the regular nobels is the kind of pedal that a lot of guys just leave on all the time.
        Another one worth looking at, depending on what actual amp you are using is the red llama from way huge, which gives a very loose tweed type tone - although more in the vein of a tweed deluxe rather than a bassman. That or two offerings by lovepedal, the high power tweed twin pedal and also the les lius will get you in the ballpark. The les lius has a tweed deluxe sound and a high power tweed tone in the one box. The Lovepedals and the way huge are all true bypass.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-03-2018, 02:49 AM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          part of the reason your amp sounds so big and loose when using the mustang as a preamp is because all the amp models have speaker sims built in. The actual speaker on a mustang is designed for flat frequency response so all the models sound more or less like a real amp and cab miced up then run through a PA.
          If you want a big open and natural sounding overdrive pedal with enough low end for things to get your amp loose, have a look at a nobels odr-1. A lot of pros use it in front of black or silver faced fenders to give them the sound of a much fatter, meaner, dirtier amp. You can use it to get similar to the fat clean tones of a bassman by setting the gain low or even off, or judicious use of the gain and spectrum knobs will allow you to get as gnarly as you want. It can be subtle, or it can be really dirty depending on how you use it. A really excellent pedal for many uses. There are some boutiqe true bypass clones out there (jrockett does one) but the regular nobels is the kind of pedal that a lot of guys just leave on all the time.
          Another one worth looking at, depending on what actual amp you are using is the red llama from way huge, which gives a very loose tweed type tone - although more in the vein of a tweed deluxe rather than a bassman. That or two offerings by lovepedal, the high power tweed twin pedal and also the les lius will get you in the ballpark. The les lius has a tweed deluxe sound and a high power tweed tone in the one box. The Lovepedals and the way huge are all true bypass.
          Thanks! I'll look at those.

Yep, the cab sims definitely bring in the unnaturally thick and chokin tone. Sounds awful through headphone out, but line out from simple resistor attenuator (ie. non-reactive) at speaker output evens and flattens it out nicely.

I think the deluxe models are not exactly what I'm after (at least mustanng deluxe model was cpmpletely different), but I'll see.
          Last edited by Jacew; 02-03-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Maybe I should be looking at fuzzes too? Some tones from Matthew Bellamy have been rather close. (Is it Fuzz Factory he uses?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
              Thanks! I'll look at those.

Yep, the cab sims definitely bring in the unnaturally thick and chokin tone. Sounds awful through headphone out, but line out from simple resistor attenuator (ie. non-reactive) at speaker output evens and flattens it out nicely.

I think the deluxe models are not exactly what I'm after (at least mustanng deluxe model was cpmpletely different), but I'll see.
              Yeah. Thats why the nobels is a good bet, or possibly the high power tweed twin from lovepedal. Id lean towards the nobels tho. It has a lot more versatility gain and tone wise. I like the idea of "amp in a pedal" pedals but they never quite get the same feel and are especially limited by the amp you are running them into.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
              X