School me on dirt boxes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School me on dirt boxes...

id say the op wants an overdrive or boost. you dont need a high gain anything infront of an overdriven amp it can turn to mush quickly. the nobels doesnt sound much like a ts as others mentioned and is a great pedal. low gain overdrive with eq or a dirty boost like the killing floor is where id start. the killing floor seems great but i havent tried one in person yet.

oh and acebob needs his hearing checked. a big muff into a twin doesnt = instant hendrix. a fuzzface is a much different sound than a muff regardless of amp

Comment

A clean boost would probably give you what you want. I saw a recommendation for a Mooer Pure Boost above. That would be a great place to start, assuming they’re available in Finland.

If I were you, I’d also look into one of the many clones of the Klon overdrive pedal—probably starting with the EHX Soul Food, since it’s cheap and widely available. With the gain turned down low and the volume up high, it acts as a fairly transparent OD, but it shapes the EQ a little (definitely less than a Tube Screamer) in a way that works well with an already overdriving amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
        Its not a TS variant. It's the opposite of what a TS does. Visual Sound Open Road pedal is a clone of it. You can hear it here in these vids compared to a TS ...
        It isn't? I watched video about it where guy A/B'd TS9 and ODR-1 with all pots at noon. Tone was almost the same...
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          Everybody always looks at ODs & Distortions for more.

However...

...if you dig the general tone & clipping (distortion) from your amp (and if you don't, you bought the wrong amp), but just want to push it more (skoosh more sustain, etc), try one of these:

- EQ

(And obviously, you can shape things with the EQ)

Alternatively, a boost.
          I do like the amps distortion. I'm just looking to expand it's possibilities, not trying improve my tone.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

That TC Mojomojo sounds really good. Just the type of pedal I was looking for.

Really good info here. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

For me, the key is owning a killer sounding tube amp that I can turn up loud enough that it’s breaking up at least a little all on its own.

20 watts or so works well.

Over the years I’ve used Fender 5E3 Tweed Deluxe Amps, blackface Princeton Reverbs, blackface Deluxe Reverbs...all great amps for this purpose.

Recently I started using one or two ‘56 Gibson GA20’s.

Then I goose it with my Klon KTR or TS808 Tubescreamer or Visual Sound Route 808.
              Last edited by Lewguitar; 02-07-2018, 01:31 PM.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                It isn't? I watched video about it where guy A/B'd TS9 and ODR-1 with all pots at noon. Tone was almost the same...
                It's not. It doesn't add a mid bump/honk or shave the bass off like a TS9 does. The first vid I linked has it compared to a TS808 clone towards the end of the vid, check it out later. I find the ts9 has more honk than a ts808. The ODR1 will retain the midrange of the guitar but not boost it like a tubescreamer, maybe add tiny bit of low mids but no upper mid spikes. The tone knob/spectrum knob on it also behaves differently than a ts tone knob, on the odr1 I much like to keep it at noon or beyond. One thing about it(& the vs open road) is that they have a bit more hiss with high gain settings than a ts would, it's less audible in a band setting though.

Comment

I'd think an OD or Boost is all you need...something like the 805 (OD, with 3 band EQ) or Pickup Booster (clean boost) perhaps?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I spent couple of hours today tweaking different kind of tones out of my Egnater Rebel. Now after all, I don't think I actually need additional dirt... It's just matter of learning how to get it, it's rather fast and smooth to operate once you remember how to dial from one tone to another.

I probably will buy that Killing Floor though. I'm really intrigued about it, and would to try it with my rig.

Comment

Working...
                    X