Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Solderless cables.

Hey Guys,
    Wanted to tell you about my experience with the brand new Boss Pedal board cables. First off the cable itself is very thin. Very flexible and easy to work it.
    The Connectors can be made straight or angled. The Only issue I have with them is the tiny set ground screw you gotta put in. It's tiny and I dropped a few of them on my first few builds.
    So I didn't have a single bad cable in my builds. Granted I have been building cables for decades so this was a breeze for me. I'm super analog about terminations which can make or break your cable. I also Test al my cables with a Short test on a Wire Tracker. I wanted to grab a 1/4 jack cable tester from Planet Waves but the Wire tracker is a very good tool.

TIPS ON BUILDING THESE CABLES:
    1) Stretch the jacket lightly and cut off the excess at the end. This will help with getting it into the connector and make for a tight clean fit.
    2) Use a Curved Cable Cutter or a Planet Waves cable cutter. This works excellent in giving you a nice clean straight cut. This also can make or break your termination.
    3) Make sure you get the wire all the way up the connector. This is for the Tip Connection.
    4) Set Screw needs to be counter sunk into the connector to get a good ground or sleeve connection. If you don't set the set screw deep enough your sleeve will test open.
    5) Plan your router and where the bend needs to go. This will help allow the wire to lay naturally and not be twisted. Soft bends are key here guys.

I snapped a quick pick on how it was going. I have my IN's and OUT's with Planet Waves Solderless connections. I picked up a few packs of the straight ends.
    I use Mogami For To the Front of the amp, and both effects loop cables. This gives me the lowest noise floor and the cleanest clear tone. Cables make a HUGE difference in ones rig as if you have low end cables, noise and un wanted tone less you will have. Cables matter not to make your rig sound better but allow you to hear what your rig sounds like. Do yourself a huge favor and purchase good quality cables. Stay away from the cheap ones. They fail and are noisy.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	5847051

Re: Boss Solderless cables.

Just curious if the connectors cost more than the switcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
      Just curious if the connectors cost more than the switcher.

Well the Switcher is $699 and the Boss cables alone where $254 so no but expensive nonetheless. I also have 2 kits of Planet waves which where like $74 each.
      Building a personal pedal board is not cheap. Actually it's damn expensive. You think well it's only $199 for this pedal $299 for that one $129 for this one and so on next thing you know you spend well over 3 grand for effects.

I constantly battle the desire for a all in one solution, cut done on cable cost and length and have something like the Boss GT series that sounds as good as separate pedals do. I never heard one of these kinds of boards even coming close.

Comment

Boss Solderless cables.

This is exactly why I switched from a $300-$400 Rocktron switcher with George L connectors and Strymons, TCs, Visual Sounds, etc. to a single Zoom MS50G.
        Last edited by beaubrummels; 02-18-2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          This is exactly why I switched from a $300-$400 Rocktron switcher with George L connectors and Strymons, TCs, Visual Sounds, etc. to a single Zoom MS50G.
          Dude I hear you loud and clear. Boss is releasing the GT1000 and I hope it's everything I want it to be. If it works out, I'll sell all my pedals board etc(AGAIN) and use just that.
          For $999 I can do everything that my multi thousand dollar pedal board can do and a lot more. In the past I tried to get that to go with the GT-8 then GT-10 and last the GT-100. None of them sound as good as pedals and is why I go back in-between owning each board. I wanted to get the tc electronics board but no one had one in stock for me to test drive. So I purchased an entire set of tc electronics pedals and built a full pedal board. Sadly I don't think their effects are all that great. Boss does a better job for Chorus, delay, buffers and even OD stuff except the Spark which is fantastic.
          So with that in mind I also tried Line 6 and hate the way they sound. So fake and crappy like a Samsung TV. They have this artificial way of doing things I just don't get along with. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and I'm use to real gear from the start.

Comment

By the way these cables are amazing. Such clear natural tone with no change in overall tonality or loss. I'm very impressed with the quality of these cables. I did some management today and they are a pleasure to work with. Check out some before and after picks of my wiring.
            Before Wire Management
            Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1032.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	5805373
            Underneath the Board Managed

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1033.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	5805374
            After Wire management

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1034.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	5805375

Comment

Nice and neat. I see you got the CS12 brick. How's it working for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                Nice and neat. I see you got the CS12 brick. How's it working for you?
                Thanks man, the CS12 is awesome. It's as quiet as the Voodoo Labs I had before which was also awesome but I needed more power and the CS12 is perfect. I ordered 2 of the 18v to 9v converter cables so I can use the other 2 power outlets. Currently I share the Tuner out with the Wampler Triple Wreck. No issues but I'm anal so I want a dedicated power out to every pedal.
                I want to get another Wampler pedal , some kind of warm OD type.

Comment

Yep, Truetone appears to have nailed it with their bricks. I've had Voodoo and other isolated supplies in the past and the Truetone is every bit as quiet. I guess the only question mark would be longevity. Time will tell but they have been well received so far.

Comment

The CS12 is a bit cheaper then the Voodoo Stuff but I also hope it lasts a long time. Power supplies usually last a long time. I have mine plugged into a APC H10 Power conditioner so it's protected from Hits.

Comment

Truetone is a switching supply. That should/could make them cheaper although filtering and isolation might bring the build cost back up. Maybe it's as simple as their profit margin not being quite as high. Right now anyway, they are pretty good bang for the buck relative to other brand name supplies.

Comment

Working...
                      X