Good hi gain distortion pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good hi gain distortion pedals

I am looking for good modern hi gain distortion pedal. I bought EHX Micro Metal Muff a week ago, and i don't like the way it sounds. There is too much hi end, and not enough low end response. It has more than enough gain on top but it doesn't cut through mix so well.. I am looking into Peavey/Boogie/Randall tube type of sounds. Also, i don't want to spend lots of money, so i am looking into more affordable kind of stuff. I am into melodic thrash/death metal and classic heavy metal as well. I saw that MXR Fullbore Metal pedal used, for about 100 bucks, would that be better than Metal Muff? Anyone have the reccomendation?
    Last edited by Lux84; 02-17-2018, 04:09 AM.

Re: Good hi gain distortion pedals

Suhr Riot is a pretty popular high gain pedal. Joyo US Dream is a popular copy at about $40. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but plenty of videos for both on you tube.

Here's one ...

Comment

My man look no further then the Wampler Triple Wreck. This pedal is incredible in all kinds of ways. Do yourself a favor and go get one.

Comment

Thanks, i'll check these out. I found out top boost function on Metal Muff pretty much unusable, plus when i engage the tone knob (mids) to right it looses all the low end. only when mids are scooped the low end is presentable enough, but than it doesn't cut through mix well. also, when distortion knob cranked it sounds too mushy, so i am keeping the tone knob at half and distortion little less than the half. the sound of Micro Metal Muff is comparable to R-Fier setting on Roland Cube, but the Cube is still better, much more low end.

Comment

The Wampler Triple Wreck is a great suggestion. But $270. May be able to find a used one for under $200.

Comment

Yeah, too pricey for me. I watched comparision between Digitech Hardwire TL-2 and MXR Fullbore Metal, and i liked Hardwire better. For now i am just gonna stick with EHX, as i only need it for certain things, and i think that on one particular setting it will be ok. But i want to try different distortions in the future. I am running it direct through interface into Reaper, with cab simulation.

Comment

I think the Fullbore Metal is in the same league as the Metal Zone and the Metal Muff, FWIW. Same kind of fizzy, over-the-top distortion. Might work for some things, but I wouldn't call it an upgrade coming from the Metal Muff.

Comment

Biyang Metal End...can't be beat for $60!

And another short & sweet demo that shows you all the tone changes you get just from flipping switches.. (without touching the EQ!)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It's built like a tank too...love mine
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

^^^ Never even heard of that before. Looks like the general metalzone layout but with the added features, and without the knob-stacking that can make adjustment cumbersome.

For a thick and heavy pedal on the cheap that has less high-sizzle than the muffs I've always liked the Boss megaD. They're like under $50 mint.

Comment

I have the full-meal-deal Metal Muff w/ Top Boost and IT IS AWESOME. Most people who purchase cut-down version report disappointment. Gotta have all the knobs!

You know, Peavey makes a 5150 pedal that might really do what you need, or the Rectifier pedal also (Ask Little Pig Bacon about these).

I love the Riot/Dream (and Mooer Solo) but they may no be *quite* enough for you.

Funny you mention the Cube Recto model....

Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                      ^^^ Never even heard of that before. Looks like the general metalzone layout but with the added features, and without the knob-stacking that can make adjustment cumbersome.
                      It's actually a fantastic pedal..not just for the price. Everyone who plays one is blown away..haha. I guess it may be loosely based on a Metalzone ..who knows..lol? It does'nt sound like one though. It's very amp-like & feels awesome as well..harmonics, sensitivity, response & all that good stuff..but most of all it can get crushingly heavy without the fizz & with real depth!

Here's a Metalzone knock-off from Thailand (I think it was about $45 or so..) that Cannibal Corpse could use with no second thoughts haha...had one a while ago, but it got stolen. Now I can't get another

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        As much of a mega high-output pup into high-gain amp fan as I am, when it comes to modeled and pedal "metal" distortion I do really enjoy the way vintage and medium-output pups compliment.

Comment

On this vid (and I'm the first to say demo vids never tell the whole story) I actually much prefer the Boss,,,,but both are good IMO.

Comment

Well, to each their own man (I liked the Biyang up there quite a bit better than the Boss...just sounds fatter and more amp-like/resonant to me). While I have nothing against the Metal Zone (I owned one till it gave up the ghost .. & own/love me a DOD Death Metal pedal as well ) it's not in the same league/does'nt have the versatilty of the Metal End..at least not to my ears.

For 60 bucks it's at least worth a try

Youtube

Comment

Yeah for those kind of prices it's good to have options,,,,and what sounds good with some pickups and rigs might not compliment others as well.

Also whenever he puts the highs on the Boss above noon (which is most of the vid),,,,,I think it sucks too.
                              Last edited by dave74; 02-19-2018, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X