Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss ES-8 Volume jumps in loop 5 and 6

Hello all,
    Since I just setup trails today on my ES-8 and noticed this issue that doesn't make sense to me.
    Ok so here it goes I need further thinking here.
    Let me lay out the setup
    Loop 1 - Spark Booster No volume jump unless I boost
    Loop 2 - Blues Driver No volume jump unless I Boost
    Loop 3 - Triple Wreck No volume jump unless I Boost
    Loop 4 - Empty as I'm wanting another Dirt pedal
    Loop 5 - Boss Waza Delay, volume jumps up when this is on
    Loop 6 - Boss Waza Chorus, same thing volume jumps up
    Loop 7 - Boss DD-7 no volume jump stays exactly where it is
    Loop 8 - tc electronics Hall of fame volume actually drops just a tad. Nothing to get excited about but it's slightly noticeable, it's not transparent as the Boss DD-7.
    I don't get it. The Waza Chorus and Delay when you engage them , the volume jumps up a bit. I didn't notice that before the ES-8 when I had the ES-5 or when I was wired in the effects loop normal wiring no switcher. I wonder if there is some kinda loop setting.

The difference I did is the following
    1- I setup trails today for Loop 7 which is my DD-7 Delay. This pedal is transparent if you turn it off, no volume change or tonal change. This is one reason I got rid of the tc electronics Flashback and MXR Carbon copy. Both of those pedals alter your tone when on or off.
    2- I upgrade my firmware from 1. something to the newest 2.01 or whatever it is. I still edit from the ES-8 as I tried using the Editor on a PC and it sucked ass. I kept getting MIDI errors but it transferred the update just fine and transferred the entire setup to my PC. I also have a MAC so I probably will download the software on that and see if it works better.

So here is how I discovered this issue. I have my patch 1 setup as my clean channel no effects just a dry clean tone. I love the sound my my amps clean channel even with no effects on at all. I went into manual mode and was testing and trying out all my loops, I just did some wire management on my board so I wanted to make sure I didn't disconnect anything while doing so.
    This is when I discovered both WAZACRAFT pedals boosting the output when those loops where ON. The effect can be ON or OFF and the LOOP seems to boost the volume.
    Anyone have this issue and solved it? I'm on the Facebook ES-8 group and searched and found some things interesting with the buffers and setting up trails.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Re: Boss ES-8 Volume jumps in loop 5 and 6

Have you tried different loops, it could be the boss buffers aren't unity for some reason or there is some loading going on when not using them (if the rest of your pedals aren't buffered. The es8 has a buffer option built in doesn't it? Could try and turn that on and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

Only other thing is if those loops can be set for line level and for that reason change impedance and possibly volume.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
      Gondola Kid
      Bandcamp
      Facebook
      JimijaymesGuitarist
      Youtube

Comment

Swap the Wazas with the boost/ODs to see if it’s the pedals or the loops. (I assume the loops but let’s check)
        Swap the cables with another loop to make sure there isn’t something odd going on.
        Then jump the loop with a good cable to confirm if the loop is boosting or not.
        Are you using the Volume loop for a volume pedal or 4 Cable Method? If you are, make sure the volume loop is engaged on your presets before you go into manual.
        Are the buffers engaged before you go into manual? (There are two, Input and output)
        Last edited by PFDarkside; 02-18-2018, 04:24 PM.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

It was the Trail settings. Once I removed the Trail settings with the Editor, the issue went away. Now I gotta figure out why if you use Trails between patches you get increased volume in some of the loops. Only Loop 5 and 6 did this. None of the other loops had any change.
          What I did in the meantime is just use the DD-7 in all my first 8 patches so I don't need the trail feature. The DD-7 is in loop 7 which is what was setup for trails in all the patches from 1-8, the first set of patches.
          Crazy once I turned off the Trails those loops went back to normal. Go figure that out....

Comment

Trails uses the mixer, so levels have to be adjusted I believe.

I haven’t used the carryover mixer so unfortunately I don’t have any tips to dial it in!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Trails uses the mixer, so levels have to be adjusted I believe.

I haven’t used the carryover mixer so unfortunately I don’t have any tips to dial it in!
              Yeah I saw that in the Editor which works flawlessly on a Mac and not so much on a Windows 10 machine. I'm not sure how the mixer is going to fix this issue as the trail works perfectly on all my patches but when I have patches built with loops 5 and 6, I notice the volume increase. It's kinda bizarre. I'm also going to email boss about this issue and see what they have to say.

Comment

Working...
              X