Top distortion pedals for both rhythm and lead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top distortion pedals for both rhythm and lead

Am looking for a distortion pedal to be used for both rhythm and lead. I love tones reminiscent of mastodon, slipknot, stone sour and dorje. I have looked at the evh 5150 (although I don’t know if this is Eddie van halen signature or not) and the deizel vh4 pedal. Are these good or are there any suggestions?
    Thanks

Re: Top distortion pedals for both rhythm and lead

That is a DEEP question!

Since you are having pedals....why NOT have one for rhythm and one for lead?

I'm guessing most use one for both. But it does raise the issue: Why?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Leads with the Boss Metal Core are about as searing and cutting as I've heard from anything,,,,,tube or sold-state, amp or pedal.

Not the thickest or richest for riffing though, so yeah, not a bad idea at all.

Comment

Okay thanks, I’ve heard someone say that the vh-4 is great for rhythm and then a ts9 in front of it gets your lead tone so I may try that. Is that a good idea or might it get too muddy?

Comment

As long as the gain is kept low on the TS9 you should not get mud. Crank the volume and adjust tone and gain to suit.

Comment

Here’s my little board. Three overdrives and one delay.

I try to keep them all sounding different.

The Klon and Simble (Dumble amp tone) both sound great for rhythm and lead. The Route 808 (Tubescreamer) is great for solos but not so great for rhythm.

If I use the Route 808 to overdrive the Klon, I have to turn the Route 808 way down and then it doesn’t sound good by itself.

The Simble overdrives the Klon beautifully without having to turn it way down. Does get loud though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4BEA6AA5-6BB6-4EFC-9527-D5DD1C920D85.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	5805468
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I think you could do a lot worse than a VH4 and a boost. I typically use a Tube Screamer to tighten up high gain amps/pedals (gain down, volume up), so I wouldn’t expect any mud from that combination.

A better idea might be the VH4 and an EQ after it for a volume and mid boost to use for lead. I have a modded Boss GE7 that does this well.

Also, my favorite metal pedal is the Blackstar DistX. You can find them used for under $100 these days.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for all this. Really helpful

Comment

Working...
                X