• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Re: New fender pedals

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    That’s a bold move, making the overdrive twice the price of the distortion.
    Apparently it’s a two-in-one Overdrive.

Leave a comment:

• justFred
    replied

If they are as crapy as the Mustang GT series then wouldn't give the a second look.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

How long until Phil McKnight opens it up and tells us it shouldn’t cost more than $59?

Leave a comment:

• chadd
    replied

In fairness, it does have twice as many switches

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

I like the light-up knobs, too. That alone won’t get me to buy, but it’s a nudge. At a time when oceans of pedals compete for our attention, it’s so easy to say, “Look — I don’t have time to try one more overdrive that probably does what overdrives generally do.” But I like Fender, and if they happened to make some really great pedals, I’d want to give them a shot.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2018, 05:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kingsnake
    replied

pretty cool that the knobs light up! i'm liking the reverb.... although, honestly, i might be too lazy for 4 knobs and 3 switches just for a reverb pedal...

Leave a comment:

• Zombiwoof
    replied

Fender has made pedals several times over the years. This isn't the first time.
    Al

Leave a comment:

• mojosman
    replied

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
    Still, one of the benefits of brand loyalty:
    with a group like Fender that sells you a guitar, strings, picks, straps, cables, pedals, tuners, and everything that you need to play, I dunno it seems like they designed their products in a bubble, a bubble of fender gear and of fender tones, like they designed the amp to sound best with fender guitars. The fender guitars were given pickups that they designed while playing fender guitars, picks, and strings. The pedals were probably tweaked after a group of guys with Fender gear got in a room and talked "Fender Tone".

This may be romanticizing it a bit. For all I know they could have just thrown random mods on a known pedal circuit, played it for 5 min through a VOX, and said there's your new pedal. But Fender gear *often* works good with more fender gear. And so hopefully Fender amp fans will get a pedal they feel is catering to them, but who knows?
    That's a good point, I do think there is a Fender tone, if you will, that clearly their customers have made a choice to own. I think you are correct, but I'm not an expert on business. From a logical perspective they must have spent a sizable amount of money developing these pedals, which they now must spend even more on the marketing and distribution and selling of. I also have no idea what the profit margin is on a guitar pedal, but it seems like they need to sell quite a few of these to get to profitability. As Gibson has demonstrated, debt will drag you down, and amps, guitars, and effects are selling less and less over time; will this pedal line ever be a net plus for the company? Time will tell, but as a guy who prefers Fender guitars, and amps I don't think I'm predisposed to buying the pedal based on who made it. The bottom line for me is do I like how it sounds. Hopefully Fender does well with them. There are certain companies you just don't want to see go under. For me Gibson is one such company, and so is Fender.
    Last edited by mojosman; 02-28-2018, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FuseG4
    replied

Originally posted by mojosman View Post
    If the guitar market is drying up, it seems only logical that the pedal market is as well. Gibson is drowning in debt from their attempt to get into consumer electronics as a way to diversify, Fender seems to have chosen pedals. Of course they also sell amps, Gibson was/is certainly not a player in either the pedal or amp market. Obviously time will tell if Fender is onto something here, but my guess is they should have done this ages ago. I think players know what they like, and brand loyalty won’t trump tone. They will buy what works regardless of who sells it.
    Still, one of the benefits of brand loyalty:
    with a group like Fender that sells you a guitar, strings, picks, straps, cables, pedals, tuners, and everything that you need to play, I dunno it seems like they designed their products in a bubble, a bubble of fender gear and of fender tones, like they designed the amp to sound best with fender guitars. The fender guitars were given pickups that they designed while playing fender guitars, picks, and strings. The pedals were probably tweaked after a group of guys with Fender gear got in a room and talked "Fender Tone".

This may be romanticizing it a bit. For all I know they could have just thrown random mods on a known pedal circuit, played it for 5 min through a VOX, and said there's your new pedal. But Fender gear *often* works good with more fender gear. And so hopefully Fender amp fans will get a pedal they feel is catering to them, but who knows?

Leave a comment:

• FuseG4
    replied

I was thinking that, too. Still, the Blues Driver ****s all over the DS-1; maybe they’re hoping to imply that dynamic as well?
    The blues driver is better for sure
    But TBH the first thing I did today when I got home from work was crank my DS-1 into my clean channel and... yeah it's... OK.

Plus, the other thing I'm sure fender was thinking was "who used OVERDRIVE pedals? Tube-amp die-hards! Who has money?
    TUBE AMP DIE HARDS WHOOO

Leave a comment:

• mojosman
    replied

If the guitar market is drying up, it seems only logical that the pedal market is as well. Gibson is drowning in debt from their attempt to get into consumer electronics as a way to diversify, Fender seems to have chosen pedals. Of course they also sell amps, Gibson was/is certainly not a player in either the pedal or amp market. Obviously time will tell if Fender is onto something here, but my guess is they should have done this ages ago. I think players know what they like, and brand loyalty won’t trump tone. They will buy what works regardless of who sells it.

Leave a comment:

• Little Pigbacon
    Guest replied

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
    Well a new ds-1 is cheaper than a blues driver still right? I bet they're thinking along those lines.

I think a lot more younger and inexperienced players will want a distortion pedal and it's not a bad idea to make it accessible
    I was thinking that, too. Still, the Blues Driver ****s all over the DS-1; maybe they’re hoping to imply that dynamic as well?

Leave a comment:

• mantis
    replied

It's a saturated market for pedals. So many companies making them and Fender never got involved as far as I know. Now they want to get into the Pedal market is kinda strange, not from a money making stand point just from a company that has been around as long as they have and now they need to make pedals?

I grew up on Fender guitars and amps and in a round about way never really got away from them. I play Jackson ESP and Charvel which are all Super Strats. My amp Krank Revolution 1 is a Hot rodded Fender Bassman 10. So even as a metal player I'm sorta still a fender kinda guy.

Of course I'll plug into them and judge them as I do any other pedal company. If they are awesome and I like them better then what I have, I'll buy , if not I'll pass.

Leave a comment:

• FuseG4
    replied

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
    Does anyone else have problems with links to Fender website? They've never worked for me. Always jumps straight on the main page.
    I do half the time, especially new stuff in the site. I just assumed the server dumps people to the main page if some other page is popping? No idea though

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

Does anyone else have problems with links to Fender website? They've never worked for me. Always jumps straight on the main page.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X