Power supplies and tone change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power supplies and tone change

I just recently went back to using two individual wall power supplies to power my dirt box and whammy, and a nine volt to power my wah. I was using a GFS power supply (five outputs, one spot on the wall) and I've noticed my tone being a lot brighter and more defined. I used to dime my treble on the amp to compensate for the muddiness on my amp, but since switching to individual power supplies, my all mahogany, Super Distortion loaded Agile, sounds jangly.
    My question is, would the change in power supplies change my tone that drastically?

Re: Power supplies and tone change

My guess ... either voltage differences, current capacity or noise. Maybe all 3. The GFS may have been starving your pedals by struggling to supply the necessary current. There was a you tube video comparing different supplies and aside from the noise generated by some cheaper supplies, one of the cheap supplies was also starving the pedals on the board. It simply didn't meet it's stated current (mA) ratings on the outlets. Just a guess. I'm not familiar with the GFS supply.

Comment

I also fully agree with the above post. Power is very important and not having good clean power can cause all kinds of issues. Always with any pedal board, getting a more then suitable power supply is always a good plan.

Comment

Electric mistress I recently bought sounds different with supplied power adapter than with my Truetone CS7.

I measured both and when CS7 pushes steady ~24 Volts, EHX standard wall wart measured 32 volts without load. It sounds significantly more refined and brighter with CS7.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

the cs7 is a switching power supply. i assume the wall wart is a linear power supply so might read high without a load or might be vastly out of spec. without getting too deep, which would be out of my depth, use which ever one sounds best

Comment

Working...
          X