Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Warm OD pedal

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    the 805 Overdrive has more gain range than most overdrives and allows you to have as much or as little bass as you want (and mid, and treble). Three-band active EQ is pretty awesome.
    I gotta take one of those for a test drive. You never ever can have to many drives. I may pull off the Boss Wazacraft Blues drive and let it go as the OCD is perfect but I'm now interested in checking out the SD 805, looks damn awesome.

Comment

i like a warm clear sound, timmy is my go to overdrive. very musical. volume and gain are self explanatory. bass is pre gain and reductive so turning it up reduces bass before it hits the drive circuit so you can keep the bottom clean and tight or fat and a little lose. the treble is also reductive but post gain so you can dial out any harshness or fizz you dont like. theres a switch for asymmetrical clipping or more gain and the chip is socketed so you can swap. i have two timmys and one has a swapped chip but i cant tell ya what it is off the top of my head since its been so long. its just a good solid overdrive that works great for me but there are plenty of others out there too

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        i like a warm clear sound, timmy is my go to overdrive. very musical. volume and gain are self explanatory. bass is pre gain and reductive so turning it up reduces bass before it hits the drive circuit so you can keep the bottom clean and tight or fat and a little lose. the treble is also reductive but post gain so you can dial out any harshness or fizz you dont like. theres a switch for asymmetrical clipping or more gain and the chip is socketed so you can swap. i have two timmys and one has a swapped chip but i cant tell ya what it is off the top of my head since its been so long. its just a good solid overdrive that works great for me but there are plenty of others out there too
        I have the V1 Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive which is supposed to be a Timmy clone circuit. (So much so that they had to cease production, change the circuit and release V2)
        Have you tired one before? Wondering how close it is since I've never played a Timmy. The TOD is a great pedal though.

Coincidentally, I also the V1 Cool Cat Drive pedal, which also had to be changed because of it's apparent straight copy of the OCD circuit. It's a nice sounding pedal, and is...close to the OCD. (But who knows what version they copied) It does have more gain than the OCD though.
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Look for a Visual Sound Open Road. It's a very warm, amplike
          OD. It's not transparent, but it's very pleasing to the ear.

Comment

One mention of Visual Sound which has turned into Truetone. You might look into their dual OD - the VO-XO. This pedal has a bass control. The left side is more open and with the gain down acts like a good booster. The right side has more gain compression. Both sides work very well together. Most of the youtube videos don't do this pedal justice.

Back to Fulltone.

Try running a Fulldrive 2 into the OCD.

The FD2 is a "Super TS'er" and the left side has a three position toggle switch which yanks the diodes out of the circuit [ Comp Cut ] , cuts the mids [ FM ] or gives the mids in the down position. The right side is a boost. So you can turn the left side into a booster and the use the right side booster.
            That is not dead which can eternal lie,
            And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Since I never made a video of mine, I hope Germandude doesn't mind a little free publicity?

I love the versatility of this pedal. Pair it with the Blackstar Boost and it's hard to go wrong IMO. That ISF control is what really makes the pedals.

If you're looking for even more high gain, scoop the mids on your amp and you're there. It is NOT a REALLY high gain overdrive but it gets dayam close and you said you were looking for warmth and I've never heard anything REALLY high gain that was warm.

I still have both for cheap if you like what you hear? PM me.

The only thing I like better is my Egnater Silversmith.

And this wasn't intended to be a for sale posting or I'd put it there. I tried to sell them briefly when I got my Egnater but like them so well I decided to keep them around for back up but my health has gotten to where needing backup now is unlikely.

http://www.blackstaramps.com Killer two channel over drive pedal from the folks at Black Star Amplification. Great amp style drive with the ability to dial...
              Last edited by canon_mutant; 03-13-2018, 11:34 PM.
              Carvin 200T, CS6 Flamed KOA w/Floyd, TL60T Flamed Walnut
              Gibson Lifeson White ES-355 and Crimson Red Axcess Les Paul both AL-230
              Gibson 1 of 25 50th R9 Cognacburst
              Epiphone Tribute Plus Les Paul and Dot 335
              Fender AM Deluxe [Beck] Strat
              Godin LGXT and P90 Core and Montreal Premier
              Hagstrom Super Swede Tri-P90S
              Egnater Renegade and Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
                One mention of Visual Sound which has turned into Truetone. You might look into their dual OD - the VO-XO. This pedal has a bass control. The left side is more open and with the gain down acts like a good booster. The right side has more gain compression. Both sides work very well together. Most of the youtube videos don't do this pedal justice.

Back to Fulltone.

Try running a Fulldrive 2 into the OCD.

The FD2 is a "Super TS'er" and the left side has a three position toggle switch which yanks the diodes out of the circuit [ Comp Cut ] , cuts the mids [ FM ] or gives the mids in the down position. The right side is a boost. So you can turn the left side into a booster and the use the right side booster.
                The VSXO is the only pedal of Truetone's current lineup that I don't have yet. While slightly different, it seems the circuits are similar to the OD sides of the Jeckyl and Hyde and Route 66 pedals.

I'd honestly say any of the TrueTone V3 series OD's would work, but the Open Road at low to moderate gain sounds fantastic. It stacks well with almost everything.

They are one of my favourite pedal brands.

Comment

Bogner Wessex.

Comment

Working...
                  X