Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD Fulltone GT-500

Picked this up the other day for $60 from Guitar Center's used site:

I'll be adding it to my board in place of the Pickup Booster once the replacement feet get here. After reading several reviews and also listening to a bunch of demos, I was a bit surprised by this pedal. The boost side isn't nearly as loud as I was expecting, but the EQ works and it manages to stay pretty clean even at the aggressive setting in the pic.

The distortion side was pretty much what I expected except for some rather strange EQ behavior. The mid control is inductor-driven, so it's absolutely dominant as far as shaping the overall tone of the pedal. I wanted a very slight overdrive / grit on my clean channel, so I needed to boost the mids quite a bit higher than I expected in addition to running the gain quite low. It'll do aggressive scooped mids, but that isn't a tone I chase often. The distortion is also fet-based, so it's a bit more amplike than many pedals, despite being a bit grainy.

Overall it's a cool pedal and does what I bought it for. I wouldn't pay the $159 on the original tag, but I generally prefer an amp for distortion.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Re: NPD Fulltone GT-500

FET based and inductor based mids, seems like a precursor to a lot of the “amp in a box” pedals. How does it compare to any of those?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      FET based and inductor based mids, seems like a precursor to a lot of the “amp in a box” pedals. How does it compare to any of those?
      I really don't know since I'm not into that sort of pedal. It definitely responds like an amp, but I don't think it was patterned after any particular amp. The way I'm using it I'm reminded of the dirty channel of a Peavey Classic; a bit gritty and grainy but not necessarily in a bad way.
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I had one - interesting tones, but ultimately it didn’t do what I wanted.

This was mainly because of the boost side - which, over time, I really would have liked to have had a mid-control (I really would have liked the inductor based mid from the distortion side in the boost side!) by way of reference, an Xotic BB Preamp Midboost now sits on my board exactly where the GT500 boost was!

That said, using the boost to push the distortion gave some great super-saturated lead tones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a cool pedal that I tend to see for sale used often, or hear of people who had it once and either sold, traded or returned it.
          It's always peaked my interest because of that. I like to hear what players don't like about seemingly quality units.
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I want to A/B with my Fulltone Distortion Pro.

(I think I've learned to like the DP with single coils, but it seems to cut out a lot of frequencies with humbuckers.)
            Originally posted by King Buzzo
            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
              That said, using the boost to push the distortion gave some great super-saturated lead tones.
              +1

I'm running the distortion side about as clean as it'll go; just enough grit so that arpeggios ring out and sustain nicely. It fills out nicely into a lighter crunch tone when pushed with the boost. While it's cool to be able to select the order of the effects, I don't really have a use for boost after distortion.

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
              That's a cool pedal that I tend to see for sale used often, or hear of people who had it once and either sold, traded or returned it.
              It's always peaked my interest because of that. I like to hear what players don't like about seemingly quality units.
              I'm honestly not sure. It seems that today pedals with their own thing are all the rage, while I'd be hard-pressed to tell you what the GT-500 sounds like. At the low gain settings I use it sounds a lot like a Peavey Classic, while I could get somewhat into Boss DS-1 territory at higher gain. That being said, it generally feels so amp-like that one tends to forget the details and just play. I also think that the original retail price feels a bit steep without having some distinct feature(s) or signature tone to point to.
              Last edited by dystrust; 03-12-2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                I also think that the original retail price feels a bit steep without having some distinct feature(s) or signature tone to point to.
                That’s a pretty good summary of my feelings in retrospect. Great pedal at used prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X